General Category > Ingredients

Shelf life of adjuncts

(1/1)

summy:
Hey all.  Does anyone know what the shelf life is on flaked adjuncts, particularly flaked corn?  I am brewing a cream ale tomorrow and have some flaked corn that is probably around 2 years old.  It is in an unopened package from LD Carlson.

denny:
To an extent it will depend on how it's store, but my experience with year old flaked maize was that it got rancid.

bluesman:
Depending on how it was stored, oxidation is the real killer. That can be detected by the aroma. As Denny has said it will start to smell rancid like.

summy:
I used it.  It smelled like semi-sweet corn.  Nothing bad about it.  I tasted a piece and it seemed fine, not bad tasting at all.  It was vacuum packed and sealed.

redbeerman:

--- Quote from: summy on January 18, 2010, 02:47:53 PM ---I used it.  It smelled like semi-sweet corn.  Nothing bad about it.  I tasted a piece and it seemed fine, not bad tasting at all.  It was vacuum packed and sealed.

--- End quote ---

You should be good to go then.  It will go rancid when exposed to O2 over a period of time, because of the oils in it.  It will stale as well with the starch breakdown.  Oxygen is bad for food in general.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version