Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Insulation Jacket for MLT.  (Read 7844 times)

Offline stankonia

• Cellarman
Insulation Jacket for MLT.
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:55:24 pm »
Just got done fashioning together an insulation jacket for my keggle MLT.

My system is a direct-fire recirculating mash, so that presented problems of how to insulate my keg.  I liked the idea of using reflectix, but couldn't have the flame going while it was on the keg.  I had used reflectix a couple times when doing all-grain BIAB, and it was a pain rolling it off and on when I needed to turn the flame on.

So, I went a bought a new roll today and came up with a plan to have 4 layers of reflectix insulating the MLT, while making it super-easy to remove when (hopefully IF) I need to take it off.

I appreciate any feedback and advice you guys have.  Also, I hope some of you guys find it helpful!

First thing I did was wrap the Reflectix around the keg 4 times and cut it.  Then I put some clamps on it to hold it in place so it could keep its shape when I slide it off the keg.

Now, this could be the final step, but with my fittings (outflow ball-valve, inflow ball-valve at the top, and a thermometer) I can't design it where I can simply slide it on and off.

So, where the beginning end, and ending part overlapped I poked holes, and bolted them together with fairly large washers on each side to help prevent the bolts from ripping through.  I put the flat part of the bolt on the inside, with the nut on the outside, and the bolts I got were just barely long enough.

After that, I went to the opposite side and cut all 4 layers straight down the middle..I could have used the same nuts and bolts set-up on this side to attach the layers together, but I opted for aluminum tape.

With the tape...

So now I have 4 layers all held together as once piece that can open up easily rather than unwrapping 16ft of this stuff. I held it together with some straps that are easily removed when I will need to turn the flame on.

Here is what it looks like, along with a fitted cap I made for it. 

Offline stankonia

• Cellarman
Re: Insulation Jacket for MLT.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:00:26 pm »
I'm going to brew on Sunday, so I'll let you guys know how well it holds the mash temp.

Cheers!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:10:01 pm »
Nice.  Let us know how well it holds temp for you.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:43:19 pm »
Very nice.  I use reflectix for my MT insulation too and it works well.  I only use one layer though.  Very nice design over all.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:54:33 am »
I used to tape the Reflectix onto my mashtun and tape the bottom to keep it out of the flame.

Now I bought some 3/4" neoprene.  It's nonflammable.
Brew on

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 12:44:57 pm »
Nice work!

Keep us posted on it's performance.
Ron Price

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 07:28:34 pm »
Where do you brew? What is the outside temp? Wondering how it compares with potential MT loss during mashing. Thanks.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline stankonia

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 02:28:48 pm »
I live in Orlando.

Brewed today.  It held temps great.  Only lost 1* over the hour.  Checked at 30min and it was still spot on where I started.  Didn't have to fire-up the burner.

But it was also 80 degrees out today... :p