Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Competition - Bottle Condition? or Keg and Bottle?  (Read 6055 times)

Offline bbt95762

• 1st Kit
  • bbt95762
    • In Search of Better Homebrew
Competition - Bottle Condition? or Keg and Bottle?
« on: November 16, 2011, 03:33:20 pm »
I've never entered a competition, but would like to.

I'm trying to find some information regarding competition results of Bottle Conditioned beer vs. Kegged and Bottled.

I'm guessing that most folks have better competition results by bottling the force carbonated beer.

I'd like to see some data.

Thanks.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
Re: Competition - Bottle Condition? or Keg and Bottle?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 05:46:09 pm »
I've never entered a competition, but would like to.

I'm trying to find some information regarding competition results of Bottle Conditioned beer vs. Kegged and Bottled.

I'm guessing that most folks have better competition results by bottling the force carbonated beer.

I'd like to see some data.

Thanks.

I don't think there is any non-anecdotal data.

If you look at the anecdotal data you will find that most of the winningest brewers are bottle force carbonated beer. However, I don't think that implies any causation.

Some judges have a bias against bottle conditioned beer and some have a bias against non-bottle conditioned beer (especially if the fill level is high). Most judges don't have a bias.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:31:49 pm »
And some think that bottle-conditioned beers will have less oxidation.
But, in my experience, it comes down to the best beer.
Brew on

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:56:32 pm »
Neither is supposed to be preferred. You should do whatever works best for you.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:01:38 am »
I switched from bottle conditioning to keg/bottle fill this past year.  With the beers that I entered with the thought that they could win awards, I got awards every 1 in 5 with bottle conditioned, and every 1 in 6 with kegged. 

HOWEVER, the comments I received on many non-award winners suggested that I lost carbonation in the keg/bottle process and that likely had some impact on a few not winning awards.

Moral of the story: if you make good beer, it will win no matter how you carbonate it.  AND if you change your process, it will likely take you a while to learn how to master the new proces and it may imact your beer in the short term.

I would say enter the beer either way.  Getting the judge's comments have really helped me dial in my beers to be better!

Good luck!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:22:47 am »
I believe it was Gordon Strong that stated in his recent book that if you are going to force carb then bottle that you need to slightly overcarb your beer.  Then when you bottle it from the keg the amount of carbonation you loose will not cause it to be undercarbonated for the style.  I do agree with the advise of doing whatever is easiest for you.  Neither way should be better than the other for competition purposes.

Happy Brewing,
Brandon

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:52:36 am »
Also, temperature changes cause CO2 to come out of solution (especially warming) so it helps to have the bottles at the same temp or a little colder than the keg.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 08:40:58 am »
Along these same lines, I find that if I am bottling from a keg and I have enough time before I think it will be judged, I'll drop one of those aspirin-sized priming sugar pills into the bottle.  It boosts the CO2 and scavenges oxygen.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 09:15:28 am »
I asked about doing this previously, and the overwhelming response was that there would be no benefit.

My logic was the same as yours, and it seems like it would be beneficial particularly for aging bigger beers.

I assume it works fine for you?  Have you aged beers this way?  Any over/under carbonation problems?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 11:10:08 am »
I think it works, from the score sheet comments.
An observation that my friend Jeff Renner noticed in the final round of the NHC is that bottles of light lagers with no sediment are more likely to have staling issues than bottles with sediment.  This would imply that bottle conditioned beers had a slight advantage because the yeast activity reduced the oxygen. 
It is however, important not to prejudge a beer by its sediment.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 05:56:03 pm »
As a judge I wont score a bottled conditioned beer and less than a force carbed beer, but as a personal preference I would prefer a force carbed beer over a bottle conditioned beer any day, mainly because the yeast messes with my stomach.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals