Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone built a stirrer for decoctions?  (Read 2791 times)

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
Anyone built a stirrer for decoctions?
« on: November 25, 2011, 12:31:43 pm »
I just completed a decoction mash, and I'm tired of sitting next to a hot burner, stirring away for 20-30 minutes. Has anyone built a stirrer for this purpose? I have some ideas, but I thought I'd ask to see what else has been done before I reinvent the wheel.

Note: I do not want to restart the argument of whether decoctions are necessary. I believe they add something that can't be got in other ways, but I respect the position of people who feel otherwise. (No matter how pigheaded those positions might be.  ;D)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Anyone built a stirrer for decoctions?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 12:51:11 pm »
Pigheaded back atcha!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 09:06:19 pm »
As an alternative to stirring, you might want to check out the article by Jeff Renner from the Mar/Apr 2010 (or maybe Jan/Feb) issue of Zymurgy titled something like "pseudo decoction mashing".  Basically, it's a way of using a pressure cooker to do your decoctions and it requires no stirring.  I've been using that method and am very pleased with the results (and happy to not have to worry about stirring or scorching).
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:53:36 pm »
I've only had to stir the decoction a few times- not constantly. No scorching.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 06:44:57 am »
As an alternative to stirring, you might want to check out the article by Jeff Renner from the Mar/Apr 2010 (or maybe Jan/Feb) issue of Zymurgy titled something like "pseudo decoction mashing".  Basically, it's a way of using a pressure cooker to do your decoctions and it requires no stirring.  I've been using that method and am very pleased with the results (and happy to not have to worry about stirring or scorching).

I've tried it, and was very disappointed with the results. The beers I made did not taste like they were decocted at all.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 01:36:15 pm »
The beers I made did not taste like they were decocted at all.
Just do not tell this to Denny.  :D
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 10:00:31 am »
The beers I made did not taste like they were decocted at all.
Just do not tell this to Denny.  :D

I hope you notice how I held my tongue!  I've always fekt somewhat vindicated in my belief about decoction after that tasting of Kai's beers we did.  Even he couldn't tell which was decocted and which wasn't!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:10:45 am »
I have only done a decoction mash twice, so far.  Both times I only stirred occasionally. I did make sure to stay in the same room so I could keep an eye on it.  I did not get any scorching.  Hope this helps.

Happy Brewing,
Brandon

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 07:28:14 am »
I have thought about using the motor from an electric ice cream maker. I would be interested in seeing what you come up with...
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving