Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Animated avatars  (Read 10920 times)

Offline CASK1

• Cellarman
  • Jacksonville, FL
Animated avatars
« on: January 17, 2010, 04:06:57 pm »
I have high-speed cable internet access, but the few members who post with animated avatars cause a dramatic slowdown in navigating the forum. Anyone else experiencing this? Can anything be done?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Animated avatars
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 07:58:35 pm »
I don't have much problem with the avatars, but the animated (and or oversized) graphics in signatures drive me crazy.  Completely messes up the formatting of the forum.
Joe

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:29:18 pm »
There are profile settings to disable avatars and signatures in the "Looks and Layout Preferences" section.

An alternative would be a plugin - if available - for your browser to either block specific images as needed or only cycle animated graphics once or twice rather than a continuous loop.

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »
There are profile settings to disable avatars and signatures in the "Looks and Layout Preferences" section.

An alternative would be a plugin - if available - for your browser to either block specific images as needed or only cycle animated graphics once or twice rather than a continuous loop.

+1

I rarely have any connection problems due to animated gifs in posts, but if I did I'd just have firefox block them.

Edit - Actually now that I look all of the avatars I'm seeing are uploaded to this site and seem to be hosted here rather than being hotlinked.  If that's right then blocking them via firefox would block all avatars.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:52:16 pm by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:17:26 am »
I personally hate animated avatars. I'll ask the bosses and see what they think.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 07:40:31 am »
FWIW, I believe you can hit ESC to stop the animation.  Granted you have to do that on every page, but in the meantime, it may be helpful to you.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 07:43:57 am »
I think there should be a file size limit on Avatars. Some animation is fine as long is it is simple. I requested this from our Admins.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:10:23 am »
Seems like a good idea to me....we just need to figure out how to implement it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 12:17:05 pm »
Would somebody point out a couple of the avatars that are causing problems so we can figure out what to do?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 01:49:48 pm »
Not technically an "avatar" since it's in the "signature" but this one messes me up (sigs ought to be limited to one or two lines).

Joe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:51:42 am »
I'm on dial-up so just about any of them except the most inanely simply bog me down. Don't make me go look for them - that's torture.

I will say, there are not many yet. The "batman" (not sure the user) one takes a good 30-45 seconds to load for me though. No offense meant to the owners of those avatars, and I don't want to get people pissed off at the forum, but I think a file size limit on avatars is a smart thing to impose for everyone.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 09:44:32 am »
I wonder just how effective a file size limit would be.  For instance, the coconut tree above is under 30K.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 10:17:56 am »
Let the user decide what they want. All browsers should have an option to disable animated gifs.

Firefox:
   In a new tab type about:config in the address bar and press enter
   In the filter field type animation
   In the results listed double-click on image.animation_mode
   In the pop-up box type in one of the following:
          * none — will prevent image animation
          * normal (default) — will allow it to play over and over

Opera:
  press F12
  unselect Enable GIF animation

Internet Explorer:
  go to Internet Options < Advanced < Multimedia
  unselect Play animations in web pages
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 10:27:16 am »
Great info, glitterbug!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 11:10:24 am »
I wonder just how effective a file size limit would be.  For instance, the coconut tree above is under 30K.

That one loads quickly for me. Some of the ones over at B3 never load. Personally, I'm not dead set one way or another. A lot of forums have file size limits on their avatars, some don't allow animated gifs.

The "let the user decide" thing is fine, I'm on Safari and I'll have to poke around to see what options I have.