Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pickup tube  (Read 4364 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: pickup tube
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 07:39:49 am »
Know someone that can weld stainless?  Rather than go rigging up something complicated, just cut the current fitting off, widen the hole, and weld a stainless female coupler in there. The coupler is probably wider than the pipe that's on there.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 07:45:59 am »
Is the hole located on the radius of the converted keg?
Ron Price

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 07:57:34 am »
It sure looks that way to me. Whoever did that really knew what they were doing. That's not easy to do.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 11:43:28 am »
I don't know why you want one. It's very low and on one the side. I've never seen it done like that, but I like it.

This is what I thought when first looking at the pics. A little tilting isn't such a bad thing....

Look at mine. I have to tilt! And leave about 2 cups behind. I'm going to redo it.

I still think the teflon tape is the easiest approach. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline PSUhomebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 01:11:08 pm »
Though isn't leaving a bit behind a good thing? Depending on how you chill( whirl pool, gentle stirring) you break and hop matter should go to the center. If you try and pick up every last bit it will all transfer to the carboy/bucket. It could be worse if you use a plate chiller since it will clog the plates.

I have my keggle set to leave about a half gallon behind and I pick up from the side since I also whirlpool.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 02:47:51 am »
Yes, very low and on the side.  But it still leaves a lot of wort in the kettle.  Maybe I just need to make the stand uneven so it tilts to the outlet side.  That might be the easiest fix. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 03:49:40 am »
Yes, very low and on the side.  But it still leaves a lot of wort in the kettle.  Maybe I just need to make the stand uneven so it tilts to the outlet side.  That might be the easiest fix. :)

+1 Very elegant move sir.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 06:11:27 am »
from what i see, cutting a few threads would probably be the easiest and most flexible, (outside of just tilting, that to me is the simplest)  but if you don't have a tap already they can cost a few bucks.  ( some how my father's set made it to my truck when no one was looking)
Don AHA member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 11:30:56 am »
Yes, very low and on the side.  But it still leaves a lot of wort in the kettle.  Maybe I just need to make the stand uneven so it tilts to the outlet side.  That might be the easiest fix. :)

That sounds like the fix to me.    ;D
Ron Price

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 07:23:18 pm »
Guess I don't get it, what are you trying to do? Is this a keggle? That is as low on the side as I can imagine, from the picture. Only way to get more fluid is tap from the bottom center of the keg. I am thinking of doing the same as I have a spare keggle. Is this the boil or the mash tun or what? Good luck, man. Hope it works.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 12:38:06 am »
Guess I don't get it, what are you trying to do? Is this a keggle? That is as low on the side as I can imagine, from the picture. Only way to get more fluid is tap from the bottom center of the keg. I am thinking of doing the same as I have a spare keggle. Is this the boil or the mash tun or what? Good luck, man. Hope it works.
All three (kettle, tun, HLT) are the same, about as low as you can go, but they still retain too much sugary goodness to make me happy.  I'll try the tile method on the next batch and see if I am less grumpy about it :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 08:08:14 am »
For my mash tun, I inverted the keg(gle) and cut the bottom out the diameter of a plastic bucket lid. Had my welder beer drinking dude put a reducer in the sankey flange and I put a foldable false bottom in. I get every drop of liquor that way. My BK is a 15 gallon SS pot fitted with a Blichman Hopblocker. Again had my welder beer drinking dude weld a 1/2" close nipple on the sidewall and make a  SS dip tube welded to a 1/2" blichman quick connect. after my boil, I give it a stir and let it settle for about 30 minutes then pump thru the CFWC. My HLT has about 6L of deadspacewhich I just have to factor in, but would like to have my welder beer drinking dude fit it with something closer to what you have.   
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving