Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carafa chocolate 1  (Read 2533 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Carafa chocolate 1
« on: November 26, 2011, 09:22:38 am »
I was brewing a Red Ale the other day, all grain,and as I started the sparge I seen that it needed a little more color. I had some Carafa 1 handy so I just added a small amount  to the top of the mash during the fly sparge without milling it.This worked well, adding more red color without any roast flavor. I normally mill it, but with it being huskless is it really necessary?

I usually mill and add the roast grains at the end of the mash.So, my question is, how do you use the huskless grains?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:39:48 am by scrap iron »
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Carafa chocolate 1
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:43:53 am »
I thought only Carafa Special was dehusked?  It depends on what I'm wanting from the grain, I normally mill into the blend and mash when I want the roast and chocolate flavor in something like a porter. I have added prior to runoff before for color like you did.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 01:06:43 pm »
Tom,you're right ,looking at Weyermann's web site it does say special in the dehusked description. My LHBS just calls it Carafa 1 but it is the dehusked type.

This was the first time I used it in adding color and without milling first.I have used Black Malt for color adjustments in the past but don't keep it around much. Thanks for the reply. Mike.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 05:51:02 pm »
Without the husks bing roasted the grain is smoother.  When I first started I steeped my specialty grains a time or two without milling and it worked OK.  Obviously you'll get much better extraction by crushing.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO