Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When is a starter done?  (Read 3731 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: When is a starter done?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 11:09:23 am »
You could try to cold crash it right now and get some S-33 as a backup, if it doesn't go.

I haven't tried that yeast, but I try to have some US-05 and S-04 on hand for those occasions when my planning didn't allow for a good yeast crash and decant.  I agree with Denny that if the yeast isn't ready, then you are really not ready to brew, but with the dry yeasts that are out there, I never have a problem anymore with yeast planning.  And FWIW, I prefer some of the dry yeasts to the liquid counterparts.

:P
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 11:24:40 am »
You could try to cold crash it right now and get some S-33 as a backup, if it doesn't go.

I haven't tried that yeast, but I try to have some US-05 and S-04 on hand for those occasions when my planning didn't allow for a good yeast crash and decant.  I agree with Denny that if the yeast isn't ready, then you are really not ready to brew, but with the dry yeasts that are out there, I never have a problem anymore with yeast planning.  And FWIW, I prefer some of the dry yeasts to the liquid counterparts.

:P

Made the executive decicion about 30 minutes ago to crash it.  It may be an hour or two after I place in to primary before I can pitch it, but I think it will be OK.  Next big beer I give it a couple more days......Thanks for the advice all!
Nex

Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 11:33:32 am »
Also plan to steep covered after boil for 30 minutes and then let settle after aeration for 30 minutes.  Buys me another hour.  Good plan?
Dave Zach

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 02:18:45 pm »
You don't have to pitch it today.

I alyways let mine sit over night in the converted freezer because I can't get my wort down to temp with my well water. It won't hurt anything as long as its covered.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 06:36:34 pm »

I alyways let mine sit over night in the converted freezer because I can't get my wort down to temp with my well water. It won't hurt anything as long as its covered.

+1, I'm generally a "next day pitcher" myself
Joe

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 06:37:49 pm »
Remember to not pitch the stir bar into the wort with the yeast like I did last batch.

That's why you make sure you have at least two stir bars. :)
Joe

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 06:21:48 am »

+1, I'm generally a "next day pitcher" myself

I ended up taking the starter out at 10:00PM, decanted, warmed and pitched at around 11:00PM.  Activity was present Sunday morning and it's now percolating away and about to come through the blow off tube!  Got a good 2 inches of foam on top with a nice Krausen forming.  WIll remember to give big starters more time in the future.......but RDWAHAHB worked again!
Dave Zach

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 07:44:37 am »
Generally what I do is make a starter well in advance.  Let it finish out and put it in the fridge for a few days.  On brew day when I run off into the fermenter I will decant the starter beer out of the flask and replace with the new wort that I just made.  This will go back on the stirplate to get the thing going.  Generally I let the beer sit overnight then the next morning I will pitch this new active starter made using the wort from the batch I just brewed.

Since I use a conical for lagers this also gives time for trub to settle which I dump just before pitching (but that is a topic for a different thread  :))
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge