April 24, 2020
First and foremost, we hope that you are well and staying safe during this unprecedented time.
By now, you should have your National Homebrew Competition entry fees refunded on your credit or debit card. Thank you for your patience while we worked through the process. Please give up to 10 business days for this refund to be reflected on your credit card statement before reaching out to us.
After the initial shock and scrambling involved with canceling the 2020 National Homebrew Competition First Round (NHC) because of COVID-19, we explored numerous options on how to handle the NHC entries at each First Round Judge Center.
With social distancing measures in place and hosts unable to store entries indefinitely, we explored a variety of options on what we could do with the entries since it was unfeasible and not financially possible for the association to ship them all back to thousands of homebrewers around the world or allow entrants to attempt to reclaim their entries in person. Each judge center presented its own set of challenges such as local and state restrictions, storage needs from the host locations, health and safety concerns, and logistics on executing a path forward.
While we’re disappointed and saddened that we were unable to hold the competition or return the entries, we are pleased to report that the entries went to some greater good use, much of which went to making hand sanitizer and donating it to first responders and deemed essential workers.
Entry Resolution by Judge Center
- Boston: donated to make hand sanitizer
- Cleveland: donated to make hand sanitizer
- Denver: TBD
- Indianapolis: donated to make hand sanitizer
- Kansas City: disposed of due to immediate capacity constraints and logistical issues at host location
- Minneapolis: donated to deemed essential workers in area
- Milwaukee: donated to deemed essential workers in area
- New York City: disposed of due to immediate capacity constraints and logistical issues at host location
- Philadelphia: donated to make hand sanitizer
- San Diego: evaluating for feedback only* with remaining bottles donated to make hand sanitizer
- San Francisco: evaluating for feedback only*
- Seattle: evaluating for feedback only* with remaining bottles donated to make hand sanitizer
- Tampa: evaluating for feedback only* with remaining bottles donated to make hand sanitizer
Our heartfelt thanks to the 235 entrants that waived their their entry fee refunds to help cover substantial expenses for the competition. We are touched by your generousity.
While it hurts now, we hope you will find solace and take pride in knowing that most of the entries contributed in a small but significant way to providing for the greater good in these challenging times.
Thank you for your understanding and support, and be well.
Director, National Homebrew Competition
American Homebrewers Association
*indicates an extended period of time to provide feedback without indications on place in category or mini-Best of Show round.