The following beer recipe is featured in the September/October 2005 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Access this issue along with the archives with Zymurgy Online!
Dan Humphrey of Rockford, MI won a gold medal in Category #14: India Pale Ale (IPA) during the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. Humphrey’s India Pale Ale (IPA) was chosen as the best among 255 final round entries in the category.
- 13.0 lb (5.9 kg) Golden Promise malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) 80° L crystal malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) flaked wheat
- 0.5 lb (227 g) dextrin malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) torrified barley
- 1.0 oz (28 g) E.K. Goldings pellet hops, 6.6% a.a. (FWH)
- 3.0 oz (85 g) Chinook pellet hops, 10.7% a.a. (60 min.)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) E.K. Goldings pellet hops, 6.6% a.a. (15 min.)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Fuggles pellet hops,
- 4.9% a.a. (0 min.)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Amarillo pellet hops,
- 7.3% a.a. (dry)
- White Labs WLP002 ale yeast (1 qt)
Yield: 6 Gallons (22.7 L)
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.018
- Mash grains at 152° F (67° C) and hold for 60 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 10 days at 70° F (21° C) in glass.
- Secondary fermentation for 2 weeks at 70° (21° C) in glass.
- Forced CO2 to carbonate.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.