Andy Hejl of Keystone Hops earned third place in the January/Ferbruary AHA-sanctioned Club-Only Competition in Category 4: Dark Lager for his Schwarzbier "I See Your Schwarz Is As Big As Mine."
- 8 lbs 2 oz (3.68 kg) German Pilsner malt
- 2 lbs 2.7 oz (0.98 kg) Munich Malt - 10 L
- 8.8 oz (0.25 kg) Carafa II
- 4.3 oz (0.12 kg) Chocolate malt
- 2.3 oz (65 g) Hallertauer 3% a.a. (60 minutes)
- 0.5 oz (15 g) Hallertauer 3% a.a. (20 minutes)
- 1 tablet Whirfloc Tablet (15 minutes)
- 0.5 oz (15 g) Hallertauer 3% a.a. (0 minutes)
- Starter* Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager
- *Visit the Homebrewopedia to learn how to make your own yeast starter
Yield: 6.5 Gallons (24.6 L)
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.012
Boil Time: 90 minutes
- Single infusion mash at 151°F (66.1°C)**, batch sparge.
- Fermented at 50°F (10°C) for 14 days then raised to 65°F (18.3°C) for two days before kegging.
- Lagered for 14 days at 32°F (0°C) then fined with gelatin and polyclar and force carbonated.
**The mash temperature was not submitted as part of the winning recipe, but was added based on similar recipes for reference.
Photo © Scott Beale via Flickr CC
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.