Graham Cox of Meridian, MS, member of the Chicken City Ale Raisers, won a gold medal in Category #1: Light Lager during the 2008 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Cincinnati, OH. Cox’s Light Lager was chosen as the best among 170 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2008 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Billy Bob Mississippi Lager | Light Lager
- 6.0 lb (2.72 kg) [[US 6-row]] malt
- 3.0 lb (1.36 kg) rice [syrup] solids, in kettle
- 0.3 oz (8.5 g) [Hallertauer] pellet hops, 4% a.a. (1st wort)
- 0.3 oz (8.5 g) Hallertauer pellet hops, 4% a.a. (60 min)
- Wyeast No. 2007 Pilsen lager yeast (4L starter)
- 2.75 g calcium chloride (water treatment)
- Whirlfloc (1 tablet)
- Original Gravity: 1.045
- Final Gravity: 1.007 (dilute to 1.005)
- ABV: 4.99%
- Mash at 149°F (65° C) for 60 minutes. Dilute lager after fermentation with 2L distilled water.
- Primary fermentation for 21 days at 50° F (10° C) in glass.
- Secondary fermentation for 21 days at 35° F (2° C) in glass.
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.8 vol).