Julia Taylor of Stafford, VA, member of the Fredericksburg Brewing Insiders (FBI), won a gold medal in Category #22: Smoke-Flavored and Wood-Aged Beer during the 2012 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Seattle, WA with the help of David Taylor. Taylor’s Smoke-Flavored and Wood-Aged Beer was chosen as the best among 335 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2012 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Black Friday Stout | Smoke-Flavored/Wood-Aged Beer
- 13.0 lb (5.9 kg) Maris Otter malt
- 1.5 lb (0.68 kg) flaked oats
- 1.5 lb (0.68 kg) wheat malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) roast barley
- 0.75 lb (340 g) chocolate malt
- 0.5 lb (226 g) Wyermann Carafa® III malt
- 0.5 lb (226 g) 120° L crystal malt
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Nugget hops, 13% a.a. (60 min)
- 1.25 oz (35 g) Willamette hops, 5% a.a. (25 min)
- 1.75 oz (50 g) Willamette hops, 5% a.a. (5 min)
- 2.5 oz (71 g) bittersweet chcolate, 70% cacao (15 min)
- 1.5 oz (42 g) unsweetened cocoa nibs (15 min)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) ground dark roast coffee (Starbucks Christmas blend) (0 min)
- Wyeast 1056 Chico ale yeast
- 0.5 tsp Wyeast Yeast nutrient (15 min)
- Original Gravity: 1.088
- Final Gravity: 1.024
- ABV: 8.40%
- IBU: 49
- Mash grains at 154° F (68° C) for 60 minutes. Pitch yeast at 65° F (18° C) and let rise to 68° F (20° C). Ferment for three weeks. Transfer to 5-gallon American Oak bourbon barrel and age for six weeks or until desired flavor is achieved. Rack to keg. The barrel for this beer was provided by Farmhouse Brewing Supply (www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.5 vol).