Shawn Scott of McAlester, OK, member of the Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM), won a gold medal in Category #4: Dark Lager during the 2011 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in San Diego, CA. Scott’s Dark Lager was chosen as the best among 171 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2011 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Black Saxon | Dark Lager
- 7.0 lb (3.18 kg) Weyermann Munich II malt
- 6.0 lb (2.72 kg) Weyermann pils malt
- 8.0 oz (227 g) Weyermann Cara-Munich malt
- 12.0 oz (340 g) Weyermann Carafa I malt
- 1.5 oz (42 g) Tettnang pellet hops, 4.5% a.a. (FWH)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Tettnang pellet hops, 4.5% a.a. (10 min)
- Fermentis S-23 lager yeast (1 qt starter)
- Original Gravity: 1.054
- Final Gravity: 1.014
- ABV: 5.38%
- Mash grains at 153° F (67° C) for 60 minutes. Mash out at 168° F (76° C) for 15 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 14 days at 54° F (12° C).
- Secondary fermentation for 14 days at 50° F (10° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbone (2.4 vol).