Mark Heise of Regina, SK, member of the Ale & Lager Enthusiasts of Saskatchewan, won a gold medal in Category #14: India Pale Ale (IPA) during the 2009 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Oakland, CA. Heise’s India Pale Ale (IPA) was chosen as the best among 330 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2009 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Blitzkrieg Hops | English IPA
- 13.0 lb (5.9 kg) Maris Otter malt
- 4.0 oz (113 g) 120 L crystal malt
- 3.0 oz (85 g) Chinook whole hops, 12.57% a.a. (60 min)
- 2.25 oz (64 g) US Goldings hops, 4.63% a.a. (15 min)
- 2.25 oz (64 g) Willamette hops, 4.73% a.a. (steep)
- Wyeast No. 1028 London ale yeast
- 1.0 tsp Wyeast yeast nutrient
- 0.5 tablet Whirlfloc to clarify
- Mash grains at 150° F (66° C) for 75 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 14 days at 63° F (17° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.5 vol).