Browse hundreds of National Homebrew Competition medal-winning recipes from the best homebrewers around the world.
Trevor Campbell of Winter Springs, FL, member of the Brew Club of Seminole County, won a bronze medal in Category #18: Strong American Ale with an American Barleywine during the 2019 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Providence, RI. Campbell’s American Barleywine was chosen as a top-three entry among 254 entries in the category.
Note: The specifications were estimated based on the beer recipe information provided.
- 15.5 lb pale two-row malt
- 1.0 lb UK Crystal 77 malt
- 1.0 lb US Crystal 90 malt
- 1.0 lb Carapils malt
- 1 oz Chinook hops @ 60 min
- 0.5 oz Chinook hops @ 45 min
- 0.75 oz Centennial hops @ 30 min
- 0.5 oz Centennial hops @ 15 min
- 0.5 oz Cascade hops @ 15 min
- 1 oz Chinook hops @ dry hop
- 1 oz Centennial hops @ dry hop
- 1 oz Cascade hops @ dry hop
- 1 package Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast
Yield: 5.5 US gal
Original Gravity: 1.084
Final Gravity: 1.021
Add 7 gallons water at 166°F to mashtun for 60 minutes. Temp was then 148°F. Sparge with 3 gallons at 161°F for 60 minutes. Temp should be around 151°F. Boil for 60 minutes. Add 1 oz Chinook at 60 minutes. 0.5 oz Chinook at 45 minutes. Add 0.75 oz Centennial at 30 minutes. Add 0.5 oz Cenntenial and 0.5 oz Cascade at 15 minutes. After 2 months in Primary, dry hop for 5 days, with 1 oz Chinook, 1 oz Centennial, 1 oz Cascade. Bottle, using 0.75 cups of priming sugar added to bottling bucket.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.