Scott Lothamer of Moraga, CA, member of the Diablo Order of Zymiracle Enthusiasts (DOZE), won a gold medal in Category #9: Scottish and Irish Ale during the 2011 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in San Diego, CA. Lothamer’s Scottish and Irish Ale was chosen as the best among 257 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2011 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Brown-Eyed Woman | Scottish and Irish Ale
- 8.5 lb (3.86 kg) British pale malt
- 3.0 oz (85 g) roast barley
- 0.75 oz (21 g) East Kent Golding hops, 5% a.a. (60 min)
- White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.04
- Final Gravity: 1.013
- ABV: 3.54%
- IBU: 16
- Mash grains at 154° F (68° C) for 90 minutes.
- Primary fermentation at 65° F (18° C).