Steve Fletty of Falcon Heights, MN, member of the Saint Paul Homebrewers Club, won a gold medal in Category #26: Other Mead during the 2014 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Grand Rapids, MI. Fletty’s Other Mead was chosen as the best among 87 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2014 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Chjateau Fletty arcs-en-ciels et les Licrones | Other Mead: Metheglin
- 10.0 lb (4.54 kg) sourwood honey
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 gallons (11.36 L) water
- Cross Evolution yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.09
- Blend honey into water using stir stick, add ginger and nutrients. Rehydrate yeast and pitch. Primary start: 8/2/13. Mead fermented to dry at basement temp. Racked to secondary, added sorbate, 8/17/13. Racked to tertiary, 9/7/13. Back sweetened with more sourwood honey to ~1.020. Added Super Kleer to fine. Racked to keg after clear and force carbonated.
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.5 vol).