Curt & Kathy Stock of St. Paul, MN, member of the Saint Paul Homebrewers Club, won a gold medal in Category #9: Scottish and Irish Ale during the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. Stock’s Scottish and Irish Ale was chosen as the best among 221 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2005 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Curt and Kathy’s Scottish 60/- | Scottish and Irish Ale
- 8.0 lb (3.63 kg) Maris Otter pale malt
- 7.0 lb (3.18 kg) Golden Promise pale malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) Canadian honey malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) roasted barley
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Special B malt
- 1.0 oz (28 g) E. K. Goldings pellet hops, 5.4% a.a. (60 min.)
- Wyeast No. 1728 Scottish ale yeast (1400 mL)
- Irish moss to clarify
- Original Gravity: 1.036
- Final Gravity: 1.01
- ABV: 3.41%
- Mash grains at 152° F (67° C) for 60 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 8 days at 65° F (18° C) in glass.
- Secondary fermentation for 10 days at 68° F (20° C) in glass.
- Forced CO2 to carbonate.