This extra special bitter is a more hop-forward version of the English bitter from Denizens Brewing Co. With classic ESB notes of toffee and biscuit, they use a mix of English and American hops to create a floral and herbal balance with the malt.
This homebrew recipe is featured in 51 Craft Beer Clone Recipes 2019. Find out what recipe was featured for your state!
Denizens Brewing Co. Lowest Lord ESB | Extra Special/Strong Bitter
- 5 lb (2.27 kg) 2-row malt
- 2.75 lb (1.25 kg) Maris Otter malt
- 12 oz (0.34 kg) Munich I malt
- 12 oz (0.34 kg) Aromatic Barley malt
- 9 oz (0.25 kg) Crystal 45 malt
- 4 oz (0.11 kg) Acidulated malt
- 2 oz (57 g) Pale Chocolate malt
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Nugget hops, 13% a.a. (45 min)
- 1 oz (28 g) Target hops, 10% a.a. (10 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Target hops, 10% a.a. (5 min)
- 1 oz (28 g) Crystal hops, 3.3% a.a. (5 min)
- White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.054
- Final Gravity: 1.014
- ABV: 5.30%
- IBU: 42
- SRM: 14
Single infusion mash around 152° F (67° C). Conduct a 90 minute boil, following hop additions as listed in the ingredients section. Ferment in the temperature range called for by the yeast.