Dave Dixon of Burlington, KY, member of the Cincinnati Malt Infusers, won a gold medal in Category #12: Porter during the 2011 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in San Diego, CA. Dixon’s Porter was chosen as the best among 320 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2011 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Dreaded Robust Porter | Porter
- 26.0 lb (11.79 kg) U.S. pale malt
- 2.5 lb (1.13 kg) British chocolate malt
- 1.5 lb (0.68 kg) 60° L crystal malt
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Cluster whole hops, 7% a.a. (60 min)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Cluster whole hops, 7% a.a. (30 min)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Cascade pellet hops, 4.9% a.a. (5 min)
- White Labs WLP001 California ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.069
- Final Gravity: 1.012
- ABV: 7.48%
- IBU: 37
- SRM: 35.6
- Mash grains at 156° F (69° C) for 90 minutes. Mash out at 168° F (76° C) for 15 minutes. After fermentation, keg and carbonate at 20 lbs for three days. Cut back pressure to 8 lbs and let age in keg for two weeks.
- Primary fermentation for 2 weeks at 67° F (19° C).
- Secondary fermentation for 1 week at 67° F (19° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate.