This Imperial IPA is based off of the ever-popular Pliny the Elder, brewed by Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing Company. Though this recipe makes a beer that is a tad bit "bigger" than Pliny the Elder, it is absolutely a direct descendant of it. Featured in Brewing Classic Styles, Cilurzo generously offered the recipe to authors Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. Hop heads will not want to pass this one by, with one pound of hops going into a 6 gallon batch!
- 15.25 lbs (6.91 kg) American two-row malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Wheat malt
- 1.5 lb (0.68 kg) Corn sugar
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Crystal (40 °L)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Warrior hops, 15% AA (90 min)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Chinook hops, 13% AA (90 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Simcoe hops, 12% AA (45 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Columbus hops, 14% AA (30 min)
- 2.25 oz (64 g) Centennial hops, 9% AA (0 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Simcoe hops, 12% AA (0 min)
- 3.25 oz (92 g) Columbus hops, 14% AA (dry)
- 1.75 oz (50 g) Centennial hops, 9% AA (dry)
- 1.75 oz (50 g) Simcoe hops, 12% AA (dry)
- White Labs WLP001 California Ale, Wyeast 1056 American Ale, or Fermentis Safale US-05
Yield: 6 gallons (22.7 L)
Original Gravity: 1.080 (19.3 °P)
Final Gravity: 1.013 (3.3 °P)
IBU: 100+ (284 calculated)
Boil Time: 90 minutes
Mash grains at 150°F (66°C). Use 15 grams of properly rehydrated dry yeast, 3 liquid yeast packages, or make an appropriate starter. Ferment at 67°F (19°C), slowly raising the temperature to 70°F (21°C) as the fermentation begins to slow. As soon as the bulk of the yeast begins to drop, transfer the beer to a second fermenter and add the dry hops. The pellets should break up and eventually settle to the bottom of the fermenter. This might take a few days, so don’t panic. Let the beer sit on the hops for another 7 days, approximately 7 to 10 days total. When finished, carbonate the beer to approximately 2 to 2.5 volumes.
Extract with Specialty Grains Option
Substitute the two-row and wheat malt with 10.9 lbs (4.9 kg) of light liquid malt extract and 0.5 lb(227 g) of wheat liquid malt extract. Steep crystal malt prior to adding extract.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.