Browse hundreds of National Homebrew Competition medal-winning recipes from the best homebrewers around the world.
Jonathan Plise of Concord, CA, member of the Diablo Order of Zymiracle Enthusists (DOZE), won a gold medal in Category #1: Light Lager during the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. Plise’s Light Lager was chosen as the best among 131 final round entries in the category.
- 85.0 lb (38.5 kg)
- German Pilsner malt 10.0 lb (4.5 kg)
- German Munich malt 5.0 lb (2.3 kg)
- German Cara-Foam malt 4.0 oz (113 g)
- Hallertauer hops, 3.9% a.a. (60 min)
- 8.0 oz (227 g) Saaz hops, 3.0% a.a. (1 min)
- German Bock lager yeast
Yield: 50 Gallons (189.2 L)
Original Gravity: 1.04
Final Gravity: 1.007
- Dough in for 15 minutes (temperature not specified). Strike temp 165-168° F (74-76° C). Mash grains at 155° F (68° C) for 80 minutes. Use Whirlfloc to clarify wort during the last 20 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 14 days at 52° F (11° C) on yeast.
- Secondary fermentation for 7 days at 52°F (11° C) off yeast.
- Tertiary fermentation for 1 month at 40° F (4° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.