Mike McDole of Clayton, CA, member of the Diablo Order of Zymiracle Enthusists (DOZE), won a gold medal in Category #20: Fruit Beer during the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. McDole’s Fruit Beer was chosen as the best among 94 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2005 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Kölsch Abuse | Fruit Beer
- 14.0 lb (6.35 kg) Pilsner malt
- 5.0 lb (2.27 kg) pale malt
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) Munich malt
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) flaked wheat
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) dextrin malt
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Santiam pellet hops, 6% a.a. (60 min.)
- 4.0 oz (113 g) Hallertauer whole hops, 4% a.a. (1 min.)
- White Labs German Bock lager yeast
- 2 Whirlfloc tablets to clarify
- Peach extract (see note)
- Original Gravity: 1.048
- Final Gravity: 1.014
- ABV: 4.46%
- Mash in at 152° F (67° C) and hold for 30 minutes.
- Note: Add peach extract at bottling until a peach nose is barely perceptible (approximately 18 drops).
- Primary fermentation: 14 days at 54° F (12° C) in steel.
- Secondary fermentation: 14 days at 54° F (12° C) in steel.