This recipe appears in the July/August 2017 issue of Zymurgy magazine in the article Winners Circle: The Inner Sydney Brewers 2017 Harbour City Brewoff by Amahl Turczyn.
Best of show, 2017 Harbour City Brewoff
As a courtesy to our Australian friends, the recipe below uses metric units, with US customary units given in parentheses.
Kölsch | Light Hybrid Beer
- 3.5 kg (7.7 lb.) Pilsner malt
- 1 kg (2.2 lb.) Vienna malt
- 0.1 kg (3.5 oz.) wheat malt
- 0.2 kg (7 oz.) acid malt
- 45 g (1.59 oz.) Styrian Golding pellets, 5.2% a.a., first wort hop
- 10 g (0.35 oz.) Styrian Golding pellets, 5.2% a.a. @ flameout
- White Labs WLP029 Kölsch/German ale yeast
- 1 tablet Whirlfloc
- 4 g Calcium chloride (added to mash)
- Original Gravity: 1.048 (12° P)
- Final Gravity: 1.010 (2.5° P)
- ABV: 5.1%
- IBU: 30
- SRM: 3.7
- Efficiency: 70%
Mash at 65° C (149° F) for one hour. Sparge, running 30 L (7.9 gal) of wort into kettle. Boil down to 25 L (6.6 gal).
Substitute 4.08 kg (9 lb.) of pilsner malt extract syrup and 0.45 kg (1 lb.) Vienna malt extract syrup for the grains. Dissolve extracts in reverse osmosis or distilled water to desired boil volume and proceed as above.