Jovilin Grunewald of Oak Harbor, WA, member of the Beer Renegades of Everett Washington (BREW), won a gold medal in Category #24: Traditional Mead during the 2012 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Seattle, WA with the help of Mark Tanner. Grunewald’s Traditional Mead was chosen as the best among 106 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2012 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
OB Trad | Mead
- 19.0 lb (8.61 kg) orange blossom honey
- 3.5 gallons (13 liters) warm water
- 1.5 tsp (42 g) diammonium phosphate (DAP)
- 1.5 tsp (42 g) Fermaid-K
- Wyeast sweet mead yeast (starter)
- 4 tsp Sorbistat-K (added 2 weeks before packaging)
- 1 packet Super Kleer (added 2-3 days before packaging)
- Use staggered nutrient additions (1/2 tsp DAP, 1/2 tsp Fermaid-K) every other day for six days (days 2, 4, and 6). De-gas must for 2-3 minutes every day for first eight days. Package still or put in keg to carbonate.
- Primary fermentation for 1 month.
- Secondary fermentation for 1 month.