David & Becky Pyle of Springfield, VA, member of the Brewers United for Real Potables (BURP), won a gold medal in Category #17: Sour Ale during the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. Pyle’s Sour Ale was chosen as the best among 108 final round entries in the category and helped earn the 2005 NHC Homebrewer of the Year title.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2005 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Oh To Daisy | Sour Ale
- 18.0 lb (8.16 kg) Pilsner malt
- 16.0 lb (7.26 kg) raw wheat
- Aged whole hops, 9% a.a. (60 min.)
- Aged whole hops, 9% a.a. (30 min)
- Wyeast No. 1056 California ale yeast
- 1 tsp. corn sugar to prime
- Original Gravity: 1.055
- Final Gravity: 1.015
- ABV: 5.25%
- Mash grains at 150° F (66° C) for 120 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 14 days at 68° F (20° C) in a wooden barrel.
- Secondary fermentation for 365 days at 70° F (21° C).