The following beer recipe is featured in the September/October 2015 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Access this issue along with the archives with Zymurgy Online!
Brian Gregory of Santa Maria, CA, member of the Valley Brewers, won a gold medal in Category #8: English Pale Ale during the 2015 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in San Diego, CA. Gregory’s English bitter ale was chosen as the best among 217 final round entries in the category.
- 15.5 lb (7.03 kg) Golden Promise pale malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) Caramalt
- 6.0 oz (170 g) 120° L caramel malt
- 0.88 oz (25 g) Challenger pellets, 6.5% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) E.K. Golding pellets, 7.2% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.42 oz (12 g) Horizon pellets, 12% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.88 oz (25 g) Styrian Golding pellets, 3.8% a.a. (20 min)
- 1.76 oz (50 g) E.K. Golding pellets, 7.2% a.a. (steep 20 min)
- 1 tablet Whirlfloc
- White Labs WLP002 English ale yeast (starter)
Yield: 8.5 Gallons (32.18 L)
Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.014
Mash at 152°F (67°C) for 60 minutes. “Full volume mash (no sparge), 60 percent brewhouse efficiency. This was one of my first brews dialing in my two vessel, electric RIMS setup.” Mash out at 168°F (76°C) for 10 minutes. Forced CO2 to carbonate (1.75 vol).
Want to convert this all-grain recipe to extract or partial mash? Check out these 3 simple steps to convert homebrew recipes.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.