Paul Kervran of Oro Valley, AZ, member of the Tucson Homebrew Club, won a gold medal in Category #15: German Wheat and Rye Beerduring the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. Kervran’s German Wheat and Rye Beer was chosen as the best among 121 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2005 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Paul’s Hefeweizen | German Wheat and Rye Beer
- 10.0 lb (4.5 kg) Moravian Pilsner malt
- 11.0 lb (5 kg) wheat malt
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Perle pellet hops, 8.25% a.a., (60 min.)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Tettnanger pellet hops, 4.5% a.a., (20 min.)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Tettnanger pellet hops, 4.5% a.a., (5 min.)
- White Labs WLP380 ale yeast (0.5 gallon)
- Original Gravity: 1.055
- Final Gravity: 1.012
- ABV: 5.64%
- Mash grains at 150° F (66° C) for 60 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 6 days at 65° F (18° C) in glass.
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (4 vol).