Phil Keener of Ashland, OH won a gold medal in Category #18: Belgian Strong Ale during the 2009 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Oakland, CA. Keener’s Belgian Strong Ale was chosen as the best among 322 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2009 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Phil’s Belgian Dubbel | Belgian Dubbel
- 6.6 lb (2.99 kg) Muntons light malt extract
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) 7 EBC plain extra-light dry malt extract
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) Belgian candy sugar
- 0.25 cup (59 mL) maple syrup
- 2 cup (473 mL) compressed homegrown Cascade whole hops (60 min)
- 1 cup (237 mL) compressed homegrown Cascade whole hops (5 min)
- Wyeast No. 1214 Belgian ale yeast
- 5.0 oz (142 g) corn sugar to carbonate
- Original Gravity: 1.068
- Final Gravity: 1.012
- ABV: 7.35%
- Primary fermentation for 10 days at 70-72° F (21-22° C).
- Secondary fermentation for 30 days at 70-72° F (21-22° C).