Dru Ernst of Seattle, WA won a gold medal in Category #28: Specialty Cider and Perry during the 2012 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Seattle, WA. Ernst’s Specialty Cider and Perry was chosen as the best among 96 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2012 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
SaraSodi Cider | Cider and Perry
- 6 gallons (22.71 L) Granny Smith apple juice
- 6 gallons (22.71 L) Pink Lady apple juice
- 1.5 lb organic brown sugar
- White Labs 775 English Cider yeast (4L Starter)
- Original Gravity: 1.066
- Final Gravity: 0.998
- ABV: 9%
- SRM: 7.4
- Heat apple cider to 160° F (71° C). Add sugar and rest for 15 minutes. Cool to 67° F (19° C) and pitch yeast. Rack beer and carbonate.
- Primary fermentation for 4 weeks at 67° F (19° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.3 vol).