Kyle Schmitt of Clarkston, WA, member of the Homebrewers Of The Palouse, won a gold medal in Category #5: Bock during the 2014 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Grand Rapids, MI with the help of Robert Hand, Mark Davis, Lee Henry & Randy Johnson. Schmitt’s Bock was chosen as the best among 232 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2014 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Schmitten Doppelbock | Doppelbock
- 50.0 lb (22.67 kg) Munich malt
- 15.5 lb (7.03 kg) Pilsner malt
- 5.8 lb (2.63 kg) Caramunich® I malt
- 1.6 oz (45 g) Bravo pellets, 14.2% a.a. (60 min)
- 3.0 oz (85 g) Hallertau pellets, 4.2% a.a. (30 min)
- WLP833 German Bock lager yeast (6 L starter)
- Wyeast yeast nutrient
- Original Gravity: 1.077
- Final Gravity: 1.018
- ABV: 7.74%
- Perform a single infusion mash at 154° F (68° C) for 60 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 30 days at 50° F (10° C).