In 2012, Maryland Ale & Lager Technicians (MALT) member Joe Schork earned the Best of Show at the MALT Turkey Shoot for his southern English brown ale.
Schork decided to brew a southern English brown ale to pair with a pork dish his culinary-minded friend was planning in the coming weeks. The result was his South Cyde Brown.
Learn more about English Brown Ales and Beer and Food Pairings at Craftbeer.com!
South Cyde Brown Ale Recipe | Southern English Brown
- 14.02 lb (6.36 kg) | Maris Otter malt
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) | 80° L Crystal malt
- 1.26 lb (571 g) | 120° L Crystal malt
- 1.0 lb (454 g) | Special Roast malt
- 0.76 lb (345 g) | Pale Chocolate malt
- 0.2 lb (91 g) | Carafa Special II malt
- 1.98 oz (56 g) | East Kent Golding pellet hops, 4.5% a.a. (60 min)
- Wyeast 1968 London ESB ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.061
- IBU: 14
- SRM: 26
- Boil Time: 90 minutes
- Efficiency: 85%
Mash grains at 152°F (67°C) for 45 minutes. Ferment around 68°F (20°C).
Substitute 12.6 lb (5.7 kg) pale liquid malt extract for the Maris Otter malt. Steep remaining grains in 158°F (70°C) water for 30 minutes, strain, add malt extract, bring to boil and proceed with recipe as written.