Yield: 10 gallons (37.85 L)
In 2012, Maryland Ale & Lager Technicians (MALT) member Joe Schork earned the Best of Show at the MALT Turkey Shoot for his southern English brown ale.
Schork decided to brew a southern English brown ale to pair with a pork dish his culinary-minded friend was planning in the coming weeks. The result was his South Cyde Brown.
Learn more about English Brown Ales and Beer and Food Pairings at Craftbeer.com!
- 14.02 lb (6.36 kg) Maris Otter malt
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) 80° L Crystal malt
- 1.26 lb (571 g) 120° L Crystal malt
- 1.0 lb (454 g) Special Roast malt
- 0.76 lb (345 g) Pale Chocolate malt
- 0.2 lb (91 g) Carafa Special II malt
- 1.98 oz (56 g) East Kent Golding pellet hops, 4.5% a.a. (60 min)
- Wyeast 1968 London ESB ale yeast
Original Gravity: 1.061
Boil Time: 90 minutes
Mash grains at 152°F (67°C) for 45 minutes. Ferment around 68°F (20°C).
Substitute 12.6 lb (5.7 kg) pale liquid malt extract for the Maris Otter malt. Steep remaining grains in 158°F (70°C) water for 30 minutes, strain, add malt extract, bring to boil and proceed with recipe as written.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $3.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $3.99 a month.