Michael Walsh of Lino Lakes, MN, member of the Primary Fermenters Brewers and Vintners, won a gold medal in Category #21: Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer during the 2011 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in San Diego, CA with the help of Stefanie Hedlund, Heidi Walsh. Walsh’s Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer was chosen as the best among 286 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2011 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Stef’s Olive Beer | Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer
- 2.125 lb (0.96 kg) wheat malt
- 1.875 lb (0.85 kg) pils malt
- 7.0 oz chopped green olives (in secondary)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Celia pellet hops, 2.8% a.a. (60 min)
- Wyeast No. 1056 Chico ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.041
- Final Gravity: 1.009
- ABV: 4.20%
- IBU: 12
- SRM: 2.8
- Mash at 152° F (67° C) for 60 minutes. Drain chopped olives of salt brine before adding to secondary. Do not add the brine itself! This will result in an extremely oily mouthfeel with an overwhelming saltiness.
- Primary fermentation for 1-2 weeks.
- Secondary fermentation for 7-10 days with chopped olives.
- Forced CO2 to carbonate.