Paul Long of Newberg, OR, member of the Strange Brew Homebrew Club, won a gold medal in Category #6: Light Hybrid Beer during the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. Long’s Light Hybrid Beer was chosen as the best among 186 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2005 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Summer Kölsch | Kölsch
- Weyermann Pilsner lager malt [amount unknown]
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Saaz whole hops (60 min.)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Hallertauer whole hops (60 min.)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Saaz whole hops (15 min.)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Saaz whole hops (5 min.)
- Wyeast No. 2112 California Lager yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.05
- Final Gravity: 1.006
- ABV: 5.78%
- Mash grains at 152° F (67° C) and hold for 60 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 10 days at 63° F (17° C) in glass.
- Forced CO2 to carbonate.