John Peed of Oak Ridge, TN, member of the Tennessee Valley Homebrewers Assoc, won a gold medal in Category #8: English Pale Ale during the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. Peed’s English Pale Ale was chosen as the best among 172 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2005 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
True Brit | English Pale Ale
- 9.5 lb (4.3 kg) Fawcett’s Maris Otter pale malt
- 0.4 lb (181 g) Briess 40° L crystal malt
- 1.1 lb (499 g) Briess 60° L crystal malt
- 1.13 oz (32 g) Kent Goldings pellet hops, 5% a.a. (60 min.)
- 0.87 oz (24 g) Challenger pellet hops, 7% a.a. (60 min.)
- Wyeast No. 1028 London ale yeast (200 mL)
- Vin Art plate filtration (5-6 micron) to clarify
- Original Gravity: 1.052
- Final Gravity: 1.011
- ABV: 5.38%
- Mash grains at 152° F (67° C) for 60 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 10 days at 68° F (20° C) in glass.
- Secondary fermentation for 4 days at 68° F (20° C) in steel.
- Forced CO2 to carbonate.