This beer recipe is featured in Amahl Turczyn’s “Winner’s Circle” in the July/August 2013 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Join the American Homebrewers Association or start your 30-day free trial to access the Zymurgy online archive and other exclusive member benefits!
This black IPA from James Frazer and the Labrewtory Homebrew Club (Bedford, Va.) just begs to be brewed. A classic Cascadian dark ale, this recipe won best of show at the Peak-to-Peak Pro Am competition in 2013. Winners of the competition went on to brew their recipes with commercial breweries, and Frazer was thrilled this smooth, bad-ass beer brought the win!
Tuxedo Speedo Black IPA | Specialty Beer
- 10 lb. (4.53 kg) pale two-row malt
- 1.4 lb. (649 g) dextrin malt
- 8.6 oz. (244 g) 120° L crystal malt
- 11.4 oz. (324 g) black patent malt (in mash)
- 0.18 oz. (5 g) Columbus pellets, 15% a.a. (60 min), 12.2. IBU
- 0.36 oz. (10 g) Simcoe pellets, 13% a.a. (60 min), 21.1 IBU
- 0.43 oz. (12 g) Cascade pellets, 5.75% a.a. (45 min), 10 IBU
- 1.43 oz. (41 g) Cascade pellets, 5.75% a.a. (15 min), 10 IBU
- 1.43 oz. (41 g) Chinook pellets, 13% a.a (15 min), 22.5 IBU
- 1.43 oz. (41 g) Amarillo pellets (0 min)
- 0.71 oz. (20 g) Cascade pellets (dry, 21 days)
- 0.71 oz. (20 g) Mosaic pellets (dry, 21 days)
- OTHER INGREDIENTS
- 1 tsp. (5 g) Irish moss
- American ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.067
- Final Gravity: 1.016
- IBU: 75
- SRM: 33
- Boil Time: 90 minutes
Mash grains at 152°F (67°C) for one hour. Ferment at 68°F (20°C) until terminal gravity is reached. Add dry hops in secondary and package after three weeks.
Substitute 7.3 lb. (3.3 kg) light malt extract syrup for pale two-row malt. Steep remaining grains at 155°F (68°C) for one hour. Rinse grains, dissolve extract syrup, and proceed with boil.