Robbie Proctor has been brewing beer at home since 2011 and was excited when he got to team up with Black Diamond Brewing Company (Calif.) to brew this English summer ale for the 2016 GABF Pro-Am Competition after winning the homebrew competition put on by his homebrew Club, DOZE, and Black Diamond.
There were 91 beers judged in the 2016 Great American Beer Festival (GABF) Pro-Am Competition, each having humble beginnings in a kitchen, garage, or back patio. Each beer is an award winner before it even arrives to Denver, having already medaled at a Beer Judge Certification Program/AHA-sanctioned competition and been chosen by a professional brewer for the GABF competition.
Only three of the 91 are dubbed GABF medal winners, but the other 88 are excellent as well. We talked to a few of the non-medal winners about their experiences with the GABF Pro-Am competition and garnered a few recipes in the process. Here is one of them. Enjoy.
Weavers Gold British Golden Ale | Light Hybrid Beer
- 12 lb. (5.44 kg) 2-row pale malt
- 6 lb. (2.72 kg) Golden Promise malt
- 2 lb. (0.91 kg) white wheat malt
- 0.6 oz. (17 g) Warrior pellet hops, 15.7% a.a. (60 min)
- 1 oz. (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.6% a.a. (60 min)
- 1 oz. (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.6% a.a. (10 min)
- 1 oz. (28 g) East Kent Golding pellet hops, 4.5% a.a. (10 min)
- 2 oz. (56 g) Amarillo Gold pellet hops, 8.2% a.a. (whirlpool)
- White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.049
- Final Gravity: 1.011
- ABV: 5.1%
- IBU: 45
- SRM: 4
Single infusion mash at 151° F (66° C) for 60 minutes with 6.25 gallons (23.6 L) water at 164° F (73° C).
Fly sparge with 10.12 gallons (40.5 L) water at 168° F (76° C).
Primary fermentation at 65° F (18° C) until stable gravity.
Force carbonate with 2.3 volumes (4.6 g/L) CO2.