The following statement was prepared by the candidate, and the views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the American Homebrewers Association.
* * *
I’ll be the first to admit – I’m not a brewing superhero, but I have been making beer, mead, and cider since 1997. Some were good, some were disasters, and some were medal worthy. I’ve really enjoyed the hobby, so much so that I got involved beyond the making part and into some supporting roles.
- Started what eventually became the Beer Barons of Milwaukee’s Brew U program in 2006.
- Served as the Treasurer for the Beer Barons World of Beer Festival from 2008 to 2015.
- Took over coordination of the Midwinter Homebrew Competition in 2010.
- Helped start the German Fest Stein Challenge and Schnapp Hans Cup competitions in 2011.
- Have served as the BJCP’s Education Director since 2016.
- Headed up the BJCP’s Cider Exam Committee, resulting in the launch of the Cider Exam Program in 2019.
- Have presented at the National Homebrew Conference in 2013, 2014, 2016, and 2018.
- I’m a National level BJCP judge with the hopes of making Master some day. Along the way I’ve earned Mead and Cider endorsements.
- Served as the Beer Barons of Milwaukee’s Treasurer in 2008 & 2009. During which I coordinated the efforts to incorporate the club as a non-for-profit organization and arranged for our club activities to be insured.
- In 2012 I spoke before the Wisconsin State Senate and State Assembly sub-committees on behalf of homebrew legislation changes that were adopted into law.
- Coordinated the National Homebrew Competition Milwaukee First Rounds in 2013 and 2017.
- Have served as the National Homebrew Competition Final Round Judge Coordinator since 2014.
- Have served on the American Homebrewers Association’s Competition Committee for several years.
I would very much like to add serving the AHA membership as a member of the Governing Committee to my profile. In addition to my past experiences and love of the hobby I would bring my experience in program/project management, personnel management, change management, and 25 years in information technology. I think these skills would be particularly helpful with:
● Working with the AHA to further establish educational programs.
● Assist the AHA with initiatives given the current COVID situation and preparing for a post COVID world.
● Helping clubs to form partnerships with local brewing industry organizations.
● Continuing to work with the AHA as a member of the competition committee.
● Advising clubs on how to organize events.
● Supporting GC initiatives currently in flight.
Thank you very much for your consideration. I would be extremely grateful to receive your vote.
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers – Bruce Buerger