By Chris Williams, National Homebrew Competition Director
With each new year comes excitement about the future of the National Homebrew Competition (NHC)—the world’s largest amateur homebrew competition for celebrating the most outstanding beer, mead, and cider.
As the new year approaches, we are pleased to share our 2023 NHC plans, which include a return to the First Round regional judging sites, changes to entry feedback, and a shift to the 2021 BJCP Style Guidelines.
We will email you when the 2023 NHC Rules & Regulations are published next month before registration opens January 24-31.
Read on for more information on the 2023 National Homebrew Competition and sign up for future notifications.
First Round Regional Judging Sites
- In 2023, the NHC will return to First Round regional judging sites across the United States:
- Chicago, Ill.
- Denver, Colo.
- Indianapolis, Ind.
- Kansas City, Mo.
- New York, N.Y.
- Philadelphia, Pa.
- Seattle, Wash.*
- San Diego, Calif.
- Tampa, Fla.
- These sites will determine the entries in each category that will advance to the Final Round of judging prior to Homebrew Con™ June 22-24, 2023, in San Diego, Calif. Book your hotel now and save.
- Entrants will select their First Round judging site preference during registration (January 24-31) on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registration to each First Round site will be limited to roughly 750 beers per site.
- During the First Round of judging, all entrants will receive Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) scoresheets for their entries, which include constructive feedback and numerical scores. First Round scoresheets will be available to entrants after First Round judging has concluded in early May.
- In addition to the First Round BJCP scoresheets, Final Round entrants will receive written judge feedback cards similar to those used in the 2022 NHC. (Note: feedback cards do not include numerical scoring.)
2021 BJCP Style Guidelines
- The 2023 National Homebrew Competition will use the 2021 Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) Style Guidelines. This will be the first year these guidelines are used, moving on from the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines.
- Registration opens January 24, 2023, at 10:00 am MT.
- To allow as many brewers as possible to compete, the 2023 NHC registration process will include a predetermined entry limit per brewer, likely in the range of 4-5 beers. If there is the capacity to accommodate more entries after registration closes on January 31, we will inform registrants in early February.
Stay Up to Date
The best way to stay up to date on 2023 National Homebrew Competition information is by signing up for NHC email alerts.
This competition is made possible through the generous support of entrants, volunteers, and judges. Thank you!
*Updated Dec. 9 at 10:00 a.m. MT: Portland, Ore. was incorrectly listed instead of Seattle, Wash.