Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northern Brewer Munich LME  (Read 4985 times)

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
Northern Brewer Munich LME
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:32:48 am »
Anyone have any experience with this stuff?  I'm in the process of formulating a partial mash Scotch Ale recipe.  I'm also thinking peated malt, biscuit, heather tips, and WY1728 at this point.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Northern Brewer Munich LME
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:13:27 am »
Anyone have any experience with this stuff?  I'm in the process of formulating a partial mash Scotch Ale recipe.  I'm also thinking peated malt, biscuit, heather tips, and WY1728 at this point.

I used it back in the day when I was still doing extract.  Made for a very tasty "mocktoberfest".
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:47:07 am »
I'd recommend no more than .00000001 grams of peated malt.  But that's me ;)  The rest sounds good.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 11:25:14 am »
I'd recommend no more than .00000001 grams of peated malt.  But that's me ;)  The rest sounds good.

Is that because you don't like smoke in general, or the peated malt in particular?  I ask because I use a pound of cherry-wood smoked malt in my gotlandsdricke and really like the results.  I've got no experience with the peated malt.
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 12:10:45 pm »

Is that because you don't like smoke in general, or the peated malt in particular?  I ask because I use a pound of cherry-wood smoked malt in my gotlandsdricke and really like the results.  I've got no experience with the peated malt.
I like smoke malts, but I don't like peat-smoked malts.  So, I agree with Tom.  Any amount is too much.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 12:20:40 pm »

I make a dopplebock with 100% rauch malt - I love smoked beers.  But peated malt only belongs is whisky IMO, it easily overwhelms beer with just 2 oz.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 12:48:56 pm »

I make a dopplebock with 100% rauch malt - I love smoked beers.  But peated malt only belongs is whisky IMO, it easily overwhelms beer with just 2 oz.

+1 I remember an old post in HBD from the mid-'90s. Someone used a pound of peat-smoked malt and said their beer tasted like "an open grave."  I agree; maybe an ounce or two is all you'd ever need in a 5 gal batch, but my choice would be Weyermann rauchmalz instead.  I wasn't a fan of the Briess cherrywood, myself.  However, the best smoked beers I've tried are ones where people home-smoked their own malt.  I like good smoked beers but don't like the taste of dirt.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 01:39:25 pm »

+1 I remember an old post in HBD from the mid-'90s. Someone used a pound of peat-smoked malt and said their beer tasted like "an open grave."  I agree; maybe an ounce or two is all you'd ever need in a 5 gal batch, but my choice would be Weyermann rauchmalz instead.  I wasn't a fan of the Briess cherrywood, myself.  However, the best smoked beers I've tried are ones where people home-smoked their own malt.  I like good smoked beers but don't like the taste of dirt.

+1 Peated malt imparts a very strong flavour, so use with extreme moderation. Or not at all.

I do like a peaty scotch (Laphroig being a favourite), though.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 03:02:55 pm »
IMHO the proper amount of smoke in a Strong Scotch Ale is where you have to ask, Is That Smoke?

And do use something other than peated malt.  Not more than 2 oz of Rauchmalt

I do like Smoke beers, just not in this style.  But if you are not looking for stylistic accuracy go nuts. 
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 09:41:56 am »
Thanks a bunch for everyone's input.  I'm going to play it safe and go with a small amount of the Briess cherrywood smoked malt, which I know that I like a lot.  Authenticity and BJCP guidelines are usually pretty far down on my priorities list compared to catering to my own personal tastes.  I'll probably do a secondary over oak chips as well.

To bring things back on topic, I understand that the LME is 50/50 pale 2-row/Munich.  Does 6 lbs. of the LME per 5 gal. sound reasonable in a 1.080 OG recipe?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:05:34 am by ipaguy »
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 11:24:38 am »
Credit where credit is due.  The one comercial beer that I think properly uses peated malt is Sam Adams Scotch Ale.  The reason... restraint.  I once had a scotch ale from a John Harvards that had an overwhelming peat and all I could think was "dirty socks"  in my life this may be one of the only non-infected beers that I couldn't choke down.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 11:44:18 am »
I was looking around for some smoked beer ideas and came across this. The opinion of no peat smoked malt in a beer is a bit wrong IMHO.. Stones Brewing Co. out of San Diego makes a very good smoked porter and they use Peat smoked malt in it. I would just say it's a matter of taste preference and you should keep the amount low. Half pound or less in a 5 gal batch.  ;D
People keep telling me it's not rocket science... I like rockets..

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 12:30:30 pm »
I was looking around for some smoked beer ideas and came across this. The opinion of no peat smoked malt in a beer is a bit wrong IMHO.. Stones Brewing Co. out of San Diego makes a very good smoked porter and they use Peat smoked malt in it. I would just say it's a matter of taste preference and you should keep the amount low. Half pound gram or less in a 5 gal batch.  ;D
Fixed it for you :)

Have you ever used peated malt?  You can do whatever you like, but if you've never used it I strongly recommend you use less than 1% in your grist.  It should still be drinkable that way.  8 oz is 7 or 8 oz too much.

But you don't have to take my word for it, brew a batch with 8 oz and let us know what you think.  I hope you like it, but I'd be surprised.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 01:46:29 pm »
I was looking around for some smoked beer ideas and came across this. The opinion of no peat smoked malt in a beer is a bit wrong IMHO.. Stones Brewing Co. out of San Diego makes a very good smoked porter and they use Peat smoked malt in it. I would just say it's a matter of taste preference and you should keep the amount low. Half pound gram or less in a 5 gal batch.  ;D
Fixed it for you :)

Have you ever used peated malt?  You can do whatever you like, but if you've never used it I strongly recommend you use less than 1% in your grist.  It should still be drinkable that way.  8 oz is 7 or 8 oz too much.

But you don't have to take my word for it, brew a batch with 8 oz and let us know what you think.  I hope you like it, but I'd be surprised.

This will be the first time I've ever posted a "+1"
And I mean it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »
Hahahahaha. Nice, Tom. My opinion of peat smoked malt is like making a dry martini. Just walk through the room with an open bottle of vermouth (or bag of peat malt). Can't stand the stuff. On the plus side, it's a great way to study for the BJCP exam since it simulates "infected" really well.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong