AHA/BJCP Sanctioned Competitions
Hosting a Competition
If your club, brewery, fair, festival, or organization is thinking about hosting a homebrew competition the first step is to register the competition as an AHA/BJCP Sanctioned Competition. Competitions are jointly administered by the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) and the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP).
Sanctioning the competition gives the organizers access to resources which ensure managing the homebrewing competition is easier and more fun.
With established competition standards and procedures homebrewers can be assured that their beers are handled and judged in the best possible fashion, creating results that are accurate, meaningful, and educational.
Be sure to register your competition at least TWO (2) MONTHS prior to the competition in order to meet the publishing deadlines for Zymurgy magazine. Announcing the competition even earlier allows time for homebrewers to brew a beer just for your competition.
AHA/BJCP Sanctioned Competition Materials
After the competition is registered, sanctioned competition materials are sent via e-mail from the BJCP Competition Director.
- A letter describing how to use the SCP materials
- A contact list of BJCP judges in your state or multi-state region (you specify the area during the registration process)
- Mailing labels for the BJCP judge list
- Judge participant list to use for judge check-in
- Competition Evaluation form for judges and stewards
- Free entry to the AHA National Homebrew Competition
- Additional competition forms and procedural information are available at the BJCP Competition Center
Promoting the Competition
Registration also gets the competition posted in Zymurgy magazine and these online calendars: AHA Events Calendar, AHA Competition Calendar, and BJCP Competition Calendar. Now, homebrewers nationwide can easily find and enter your competition.
After the competition, the AHA publishes the best-of-show winners in Zymurgy and on HomebrewersAssociation.org, and provides one certificate for a free entry to the AHA National Homebrew Competition to award to the Best of Show (BOS) winner.
There is a $30 US fee for registering your competition with the AHA/BJCP. This administation fee is payable by credit card through a secure PayPal account. Register a Competition.