Originally published on CraftBeer.com
Brooklyn Brew Shop has brought the never-fail concept of cheese and beer pairing to life with a brown ale-soaked grilled cheese sandwich.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup nutty, brown ale
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, cut into eight 1/2″ slices
- 1 block mild or sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter, plus more if needed
- Optional toppings: bacon, sliced ham, prosciutto, avocado
- To make this brown ale-soaked grilled cheese, in a large shallow bowl, whisk eggs, beer, flour, salt and chili powder. Dunk one slice of bread into the batter on both sides, giving it a second to fully absorb the batter. Let the excess batter drain back into the bowl.
- Move to another plate and top with cheese and additional toppings if desired (cooked bacon, sliced ham, etc.).
- Repeat with another slice of bread to complete the sandwich.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Place the sandwich in the middle, and let cook on each side 3-4 minutes, until it reaches a crispy golden brown and a gooey cheese middle. Repeat for all sandwiches. Plate, add garnishes and enjoy.