If you have some extra pickling cucumbers that you do not know what to do with, or maybe you already have jars of pickles stacked to the ceiling, you can practice your knife skills and make some dill relish.
- 2 pickling cucumbers, minced
- 3-4 sprigs of dills, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (optional), minced
- salt, 3% by weight of other ingredients
1. Mix cucumber, dill, and garlic in a bowl. Weigh this mixture in grams. Multiply that weight by 0.03 and add that amount of salt in grams. Let sit for a couple of hours to allow the salt to pull moisture out of the vegetables.
2. Pack into pint or half-pint (500 or 250 mL) jars and put a weight on the mixture to press the relish below the liquid level.
3. Ferment for 2–3 weeks.
This recipe comes from the book The Fermentation Kitchen by Gabe Toth.