Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 15798 times)

Online euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #345 on: March 20, 2015, 08:03:53 AM »
Interesting. I've consumed a couple bottles of the 1835 90 proof Texas bourbon. Not bad for $20. And the bottle has a real cork. ;)

Labels slid off like... well, real easy so the bottles now get filled with VOB and Evan Williams sour mash straight bourbon.

Serve these two cheap bourbons out of those bottles and all I get are complements.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline mchrispen

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #346 on: March 20, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »
I'll have to give that a try I guess... just gun shy. Found the Pedernales to be meh... the so-called corn whisky from Bone Spirits to be impossible to drink (although their gin is really nice). Those guys at Bone are pretty nice though - I hate to talk bad about their whiskey.

Garrison's is just rougher and sharper than Dickel or even Bullet... yeah I am mixing up bourbon and Tenn whisky I know.

That distillery in Indiana (name slips my mind) is cranking out some amazing Ryes for other brands... even the Jack Daniels Rye is fairly tasty!

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homebrewing Page
« Reply #347 on: March 20, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »
MGP - Midwest Grain Products
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline 69franx

• Brewmaster
  • Hidden Valley Lake, IN: Greater Cincinnati
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 20, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »
Mike is that the old Seagram's distillery?  I live about 10 minutes away from there. Love driving by when they are mashing, smell is amazing
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting: The Queen's Diamonds EBW, Ringler Pilsner from Ron Price recipe in the wiki
Conditioning:
In Bottles: BCS Dunkel, Bock Me traditional Bock, Nothing Special About It (ordinary, now Special Bitter)
In the works: House IPA, You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown, , "Barky Pilsner" also from

Offline 69franx

• Brewmaster
  • Hidden Valley Lake, IN: Greater Cincinnati
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 20, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
Nevermind,  just Googled  it, and they are one and the same. Gonna have to try to get a tour in there one of these days
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting: The Queen's Diamonds EBW, Ringler Pilsner from Ron Price recipe in the wiki
Conditioning:
In Bottles: BCS Dunkel, Bock Me traditional Bock, Nothing Special About It (ordinary, now Special Bitter)
In the works: House IPA, You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown, , "Barky Pilsner" also from

Offline Joe Sr.

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 20, 2015, 12:08:39 PM »
I've seen the Town Branch bottles in various stores, but haven't picked one up. The reviews have been mixed is why I've passed it up.

Try it for yourself. I find reviews foolish in most cases. It's not a popularity contest, it's whiskey!. ;)

We just got Town Branch here, and that will be my next purchase along with Green Spot. Need that for next week. Loving Four Roses Single Barrel.

I'll give the Green Spot a big thumbs up.  Tasty stuff.  Took a flask to the parade last weekend, along with some Tullamore 12 year.  The 12 year was smooth.  The Green Spot was head and shoulders above it, and flavorful.

As far as rye, I've been drinking a fair bit of James Pepper lately.  I like it, though it's not as smooth as some.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline mchrispen

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Whiskey
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2015, 05:38:53 PM »
Went looking for Town Branch. It's not shipped into Texas yet it seems.

I saw part of the Bourbontucky documentary and Jefferson's had a little vignette - distilled in Louisville if I recall correctly. Just cracked open a Jefferson's Reserve Very Small Batch, #1119 of 2400 bottles. It was about $50 for a 750L.

Really nicely made. Lots of cinnamon in the nose, maybe a little cherry and vanillan - but this is lighter in color than my other bourbons. A very like oak character, but slightly smoky.

On the downside, their price on Lagavulin 16 year jumped to over $100 a bottle! I got my last one on sale and the box looked like hell - but I got it for $45.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:58:51 PM by mchrispen »

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2015, 05:13:40 AM »
My understanding is the higher end Jefferson's (what you had) are really good. I personally found the Jefferson's Bourbon to be pretty boring.

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: Today at 04:58:52 AM »
I.W. Harper will be back on the US market in April. Anybody ever had it?
https://mashbang.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/i-w-harper-bourbon-returns-to-the-us/

Offline kmccaf

• Brewer
  • Kyle (Champaign, IL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: Today at 05:47:13 AM »
Never had that MDixon. Let us know how it is if you try it.

I did finally sample my bottle of Town Branch. Wow. Very good. Tastes a lot like Noah's Mill with a thinner body. It will be perfect for the warm months ahead. Thanks for the recommendation. For the price, I would not have thought it would be this good.
So it goes.