Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 29283 times)

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Vote For Me For Beer Drinker Of The Year
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #645 on: April 29, 2016, 07:14:12 AM »
When you can find it, Sazerac Rye is fantastic and affordable. In NC it runs $30 which typically means you can find it for less everywhere else.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Please Vote For Me For 2016 Beer Drinker Of The Year!

Please share the voting link above with others, I need every vote I can get!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #646 on: April 29, 2016, 07:48:42 AM »
Came across the Corsair Ryemageddon on sale at a good price last weekend and gave it a whirl. A really interesting rye whiskey. It's whiskey distilled from rye and chocolate rye and aged for six years (it's the aged version of their normal rye). Nice depth of earthy flavor. Probably the second most earthy rye I've had behind High West Rendezvous Rye.

FYI - Corsair sells 10 and 15 gallon barrels on their website at extremely reasonable prices if one is looking for a larger barrel.

A few weeks back I also picked up a bottle of Alberta Rye Whisky Dark Batch for a little under $30. It's 91% Canadian rye whisky, 8% rye-heavy bourbon and 1% sherry. It's smooth, spicy and fruity. Sweeter and heavier than the Corsair. It's not garbage Canadian rye that's often not rye at all. It's genuinely rye whisky. If the Corsair rye is a solid expression of the earth side of rye then this is a solid expression of the spicy and subtly fruity side of rye. Between the two it's an excellent range of rye whisky.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline pete b

• Brewmaster General
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 29, 2016, 09:58:44 AM »
I tried a Bourbon based 1794 last night and it hit the nail square on the head. 2 parts Bourbon, 1 Campari, 1 Sweet Vermouth. Not sure what it is since it used Bourbon instead of Rye, but it was delicious.
I would call it a boulevardier, just a better version than the equal parts formula IMO.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 29, 2016, 11:29:09 AM »
When you can find it, Sazerac Rye is fantastic and affordable. In NC it runs $30 which typically means you can find it for less everywhere else.

Finding it is the hard part.  If you do find it, buy at least two bottles.

I had a Manhattan last night with Templeton rye.  Very tasty.  I was impressed.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 29, 2016, 04:12:11 PM »
Came across the Corsair Ryemageddon on sale at a good price last weekend and gave it a whirl. A really interesting rye whiskey. It's whiskey distilled from rye and chocolate rye and aged for six years (it's the aged version of their normal rye). Nice depth of earthy flavor. Probably the second most earthy rye I've had behind High West Rendezvous Rye.

FYI - Corsair sells 10 and 15 gallon barrels on their website at extremely reasonable prices if one is looking for a larger barrel.

A few weeks back I also picked up a bottle of Alberta Rye Whisky Dark Batch for a little under $30. It's 91% Canadian rye whisky, 8% rye-heavy bourbon and 1% sherry. It's smooth, spicy and fruity. Sweeter and heavier than the Corsair. It's not garbage Canadian rye that's often not rye at all. It's genuinely rye whisky. If the Corsair rye is a solid expression of the earth side of rye then this is a solid expression of the spicy and subtly fruity side of rye. Between the two it's an excellent range of rye whisky.
I wasn't too fond of  Ryemageddon myself, but I have used three of their barrels for various club project beers.  The barley wine from the Triple Smoke barrel was awesome.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995