Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where are you?  (Read 102938 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Where are you?
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2020, 12:22:41 pm »
Hi all!

I'm in Nashville
AHA member and Music City Brew Club Officer

I like to brew Cream Ale (delicious and refreshing all year long imo!)

Nice to meet you!  Great club!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline johncoram89

• 1st Kit
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2020, 09:59:34 am »
Cape Town, South Africa

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2020, 11:33:51 am »
Cape Town, South Africa

Welcome, John!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2020, 11:36:20 am »
Cape Town, South Africa

It’ll be interesting to see the ingredients and equipment you use to brew your beer. Welcome!

Hi all!

I'm in Nashville
AHA member and Music City Brew Club Officer

I like to brew Cream Ale (delicious and refreshing all year long imo!)
Right up the road!  Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline johncoram89

• 1st Kit
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2020, 12:26:45 pm »
I'm brewing with an urn wrapped in a camping mattress haha. BIAB of course. We have some locally grown malts which are cheap and tasteless in comparison. Local Hops here are also half the price of imported American hops but are typically dank/passion fruity, at best they taste like granadilla. We are currently in a prohibition because of the virus so homebrewing is at an all time high with the latest being wort kits that you add yeast to. Crazy times this side. No stock of anything but loads of recent interest in the sport

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2020, 10:46:17 am »
After 37 years in Carlsbad New Mexico we moved to the Silver City New Mexico area.  I wish we had done it years ago. 
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2022, 03:13:21 pm »
In the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia area) - but looking to leave this year.  Dropped my retirement papers.  Navy won't let me go to sea, so if I am going to sit behind a desk, I may as well get paid twice for it.
Not sure what to do when I grow up - aside from leave here.  Traffic is crazy and there is a shooting and carjacking every day.
Thinking about the Tennessee Valley or the Gulf Coast.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #187 on: February 05, 2022, 04:36:41 pm »
In the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia area) - but looking to leave this year.  Dropped my retirement papers.  Navy won't let me go to sea, so if I am going to sit behind a desk, I may as well get paid twice for it.
Not sure what to do when I grow up - aside from leave here.  Traffic is crazy and there is a shooting and carjacking every day.
Thinking about the Tennessee Valley or the Gulf Coast.
When I retired I decided to work in Army Aviation (I was Aviation Maintenance in the Army). So… for me that meant Huntsville (TN Valley). Point being: if you want to work in your field go where they do what you do.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #188 on: February 05, 2022, 08:51:38 pm »
Navy won't let me go to sea, so if I am going to sit behind a desk, I may as well get paid twice for it.

You are a better man than me.  I got out of the Navy at the end of my active obligation because I did not want to go back to sea.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2022, 10:01:48 pm »
SW Ontario

Fire Rooster

« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2022, 01:02:51 am »
Navy won't let me go to sea, so if I am going to sit behind a desk, I may as well get paid twice for it.

You are a better man than me.  I got out of the Navy at the end of my active obligation because I did not want to go back to sea.

First 6 years of service was enlisted with the U.S.M.C, VMFA-232, 77-83, as a structural mechanic for F-4's.
Always land based, and dreaded the possibility of being stationed on an aircraft carrier, never was.
I like the ocean, boogie boarding, surfing, but never cared for being stuck on a boat.

Southern NJ, on edge of national forest reserve, Pinelands.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 01:44:13 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2022, 05:04:06 pm »

First 6 years of service was enlisted with the U.S.M.C, VMFA-232, 77-83, as a structural mechanic for F-4's.
Always land based, and dreaded the possibility of being stationed on an aircraft carrier, never was.
I like the ocean, boogie boarding, surfing, but never cared for being stuck on a boat.

Southern NJ, on edge of national forest reserve, Pinelands.
My first 5 were as an enlisted nuclear machinist mate, the last 25 have been as a submarine officer.  Sea is hard, away from the family and I missed half of my 24-year-old daughter's birthdays (marginally better ratio on my son's b-days).  But the chance to lead sailors has been some of the most rewarding experiences of my life. 
I had one sailor, I took to CO's mast twice.  Most guys would kick the kid off the ship and out of the Navy at that point.  I kept working him for three years.  He just made Chief last year.  When I left command he called me his Navy Dad - I disciplined him when he needed it, but he always knew I cared and wanted his success.  Aside from being a parent, those experiences and that impact are hard to match. 
Not to mention there is a ton of fun to be had.  One of my Junior Officers (Justin) had a little brother on a different ship in San Diego.  I let Justin run an approach and attack on his brother's ship, including some great periscope pictures of the destroyer in the cross hairs.  Then I let him email his brother the pictures (I may have sent them to the ship's CO as well). 
Submarines Once, submarines twice....

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2022, 03:29:28 pm »
Cape Town, South Africa

One of my favorite places on Earth.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2022, 03:55:27 pm »
I am retired in Western Kentucky worked 31 years for USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service. Worked as a soil conservationist, forester and botanist.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 05:14:48 pm by purduekenn »