Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewer's Tithe  (Read 7374 times)

Offline timothyahunt

• 1st Kit
Brewer's Tithe
« on: November 24, 2011, 08:32:43 am »
As I was chatting over lunch with a friend from work yesterday, he pulled out the grocery list his wife had given him to pick up the remaining items for Thanksgiving dinner.  That led to a discussion about the rising price of food this year.   We’re all feeling it, but I was reminded of the senior citizen down the road from me who is feeling it a lot harder than I am.

Coincidentally, I had given Jack a six pack sampler from my last 3 batches recently – he LOVES my brews, by the way – and THAT got me thinking about one way we homebrewers can make a real difference during these tough economic times.  I figured I’d use this forum to float my idea.

Jack is in his eighties and he likes his beer.  During a neighborhood chat recently he mentioned the 2 or 3 bargain beers he’d come across.  He also talked about the best prices he’d found for various staples in the grocery fliers that he scours regularly.  It dawned on me that, by sharing 10% of my brew (that’s what a six pack roughly equates to out of a five-gallon batch) with a friend on a fixed income I was helping him offset the rising cost of food.  Instead of buying cheap beer, he’s enjoying my good stuff for free and he can spend his beer money on other groceries.

So my proposal during this season of giving is for homebrewers to consider a brewer’s tithe – simply by sharing one tenth of our beer with beer lovers we know who are on limited incomes, we are helping them afford the food they need while spreading good cheer and an appreciation of the finer things in life.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewer's Tithe
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:41:48 am »
While I think your intentions are admirable, if someone is really hurting for money, beer should be the one of last things on their list of needed things.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 08:49:38 am »
While I think your intentions are admirable, if someone is really hurting for money, beer should be the one of last things on their list of needed things.

Maybe, but I'd see it like giving chocolate to people... More of a spirit-lifter than anything else. I wouldn't recommend just dropping off beer at random peoples' places... But certainly showing up at someone's house with a six pack, when you know they're down on their luck, and sharing a beer or two, is certainly a welcome respite.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:56:11 am »
Maybe it's just me, but if someone is spending money on beer when they're having trouble making ends meet, there might be some addiction involved and I wouldn't want to contribute to that.

Now, if I knew them well enough to know that wasn't the case, then yes, I'd be more than happy to share a few beers with them.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:08:16 am »
 If the man is going to spend money on beer anyway he apparantly enjoys it enough to sacrific something else in return. Giving him a 6pk will free that money up for something else.

If he is in his 80's then I'm sure he has made a great contribution to society over his life and is part of what we are able to have.

Let him enjoy what time he has left. Give him a 12 pk.

Also take time to sit down a share a brew with him and listen to his stories; you will learn a great deal. Plus, I'm sure he will enjoy the company.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:12:09 am by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:40:22 am »
If one person on this forum says (and I already see the sarcastic posts coming  ::) ) that at the age of 80 you won't be buying beer or at least wanting a beer I'd call you a dead liar! Me personally, I've already declared to my wife that when we retire and move into an assisted living home, they're going to be assisting me in brewing!

For this situation; we don't know anything more than what was given to us so we don't know his previous or current financial, family, emotional, or health situation(s). It would be impossible for us to accurately know this man's life details from the little given, so for what it's worth, my opinion is that I would give this an elderly man a beer from time to time. I figure even in tough circumstances having something in your life that perks you up a little and keeps the spirits up is well worth a few dollars. Give the man a few beers, a 6 pack equates to a little more than a beer a week this guy gets, and hope it cheers him up some.

Cheers to your generous spirit Tim!

Casey
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 10:01:14 am »
I was only suggesting a little caution.

Offline sarsnavy2005

• 1st Kit
  • Carlisle, PA
    • Facebookity
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 10:22:30 am »
Sharing a portion of your beer, which you poured your time and effort into, with someone on a limited budget is definitely considerate.  To make an actual sacrifice, however would be to use the money spent on grain, hops, and fuel/energy, to make a contribution at a local food bank or even to donate directly to a family that you know that is struggling to get by.  Or give both, for that matter!
Good beer is good, but it's still a luxury to someone missing out on the basics.  ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!
[382.7, 109.6]

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 10:43:05 am »

Also take time to sit down a share a brew with him and listen to his stories; you will learn a great deal. Plus, I'm sure he will enjoy the company.
+1000
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 10:50:25 am »
I'm doing this in a manner....I'm using the 3-4 kegs that SN will send me from Beer Camp to put on a fundraiser for our local food bank.  SN will donate the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 12:03:29 pm »

You are always such a ray of sunshine.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 01:35:17 pm »

You've obviously never dealt with addiction among your friends or family. There's no sunshine, believe me.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 02:02:50 pm »
A while back I posted about donating some of my beer for a charity auction at work. Well I decided to go for it and my colleague helped me make a "brew basket" with a six pack (2 Oatmeal Stouts, 2 JubelAle clones and 2 CaliCommons) a bag of Rolled Gold, can of beer nuts, 2 nice Pilsner glasses, a jar of Stout Dijon and some beer pads and stickers from local brewpubs; that and a bomber of each of the beers mentioned.  They went nuts for the stuff! Pulled in $347 from all combined. I'm a little nervous to hand out bombers that folks shelled out $30 bucks for!  We ended up raising $5277 in a little over an hour that we donate 100% to three different local charities that we select every year.  Felt good. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 02:23:57 pm »

You've obviously never dealt with addiction among your friends or family. There's no sunshine, believe me.

You are missing the point altogether. The man is already buying beer. Nobody is holding him down and pouring it down his throat. The OP is wanting to share some beer that's better than the swill than the old man is buying now.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 05:01:15 pm »
i had an 85 yo diabetic patient. she already had a stroke, copd, chf, the whole shabang.  she was already on the Good Lord's borrowed time.  Her daughter wouldn't let her have chocolate because she was a diabetic.  I told her "your mother is 85 years old, she deserves to have what ever the hell she wants." 
Don AHA member