Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Allies Win The War! -- 21st Amendment and Ninkasi  (Read 5781 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Allies Win The War! -- 21st Amendment and Ninkasi
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:26:35 pm »
So, I was wandering through the Beer Aisle at my local big chain grocery store just seeing what they had that looked interesting, and I noticed a special 4 pack from 21st Amendment and Ninkasi. Its a English Strong Ale that is aged on dates and hopped with all northwest hops. I noticed on the 21st Amendment website that its dry hopped with Falconers Flight Hops, which I have never seen, but after drinking this beer, I am inspired to go see if I can find them to use them for aroma. I found the hop flavor (spicy and citrusy, I think they may have late hopped with EKG as well, because I can taste a bit of the earthy spice they are known for) to be more in the forefront than the dates, which was surprising, but I found the dates near the end. I really enjoyed this beer, and I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of great beer.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Allies Win The War! -- 21st Amendment and Ninkasi
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:39:58 pm »
Falconer's Flight was a one-off blend from Hop Union, you're not likely to see that exact blend ever again since it had some experimental hops in the mix.  I agree though, it was really good.  I'm hoping they do some more blends in the future, one per year is kind of fun.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:31:09 am »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:37:40 am »
Tom, Well that sucks, I guess I better keep my eyes open for any more one-off blends.

Phil, Ninkasi in Oregon. I didn't even know there was a Ninkasi Brewing in France. Do they make good beer? I am going to need to know, my wife is planning on forcing me to Paris sometime in the next couple years, because she speaks french and loves the city.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 01:18:15 pm »
I 'm told there will be 2 different Falconer's Flight blends available, although neither one will be exactly the same as last year's.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »
My shop was out of simcoe a couple of months ago and substituted Falconers Flight for the simcoe I needed. It didnt turn out the same as my IPA usually does but it was absolutely delicious. If I see it again, I'll definitely buy a few ounces to play with.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 05:03:39 pm »
I 'm told there will be 2 different Falconer's Flight blends available, although neither one will be exactly the same as last year's.
That's awesome Denny, any other details?  The original was definitely an "American" hop blend, will the new ones be two variations on that or will one be something else?  I'm just curious what they're going for.  And if they are taking pre-orders :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 05:11:58 pm »
I just picked up 2 1oz bags of Falconers flight today at the LBHS (Mountain Homebrew and Wine Supply, Tom) and its going in an IPA I am making this weekend with some other hops lying about the place. The notes on the package say citrus and floral notes, so I am guessing its an American blend again.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 05:18:57 pm »
I would bet that's the 2010 blend, I'm glad you found some.  I'm surprised that Mountain had any left though.  Let us know how it turns out!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 05:54:50 pm »
That's awesome Denny, any other details?  The original was definitely an "American" hop blend, will the new ones be two variations on that or will one be something else?  I'm just curious what they're going for.  And if they are taking pre-orders :)

2 different Am. blends...but damned if I can find the info now!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 05:54:58 pm »
I haven't tried this blend yet...but with all the hype, I'd sure like to. Looks like these folks have some pellets.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Falconers-Flight-Hops-1oz-Pellets.html
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 05:56:10 pm »
I grabbed a lb. last year and it was barely enough!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »

Do you use them along with other hops or straight up?
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 06:00:06 pm »

Do you use them along with other hops or straight up?

Both...I don't waste 'em on bittering.  I ues 'em for FWH, flavor and aroma hops.  Sometimes with others, sometimes all FF.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 07:01:52 pm »
That reminds me I still have a pound or two left I never used. I think I'll brew myself something with 'em.  :)