Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Forward to the Past  (Read 6517 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Forward to the Past
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:24:42 pm »

The Tubercle has been all grain brewing for 25+ years. There were about 3 extract kit brews in the begining and then to all grain. Tubercle never got to experience the apprehension of making the "leap" and going through all the styles with extract. I always figured if the Sumerians could do it, I was at least that smart.

Lately, for some unknown reason, LME has been on the mind. Me thinks its time to give it a shot. As good as grain can be, I believe with all the experience brewing with such and knowlege gained, the extract can be taken to another level. That's how I will roll in 2012.

Kind of like the progression in hunting; 30-'06 - hand gun - black powder long gun - black powder hand gun - bow (or bluefoxicy's sword).

Not that I'm bored of brewing by any means, just seeing it as a challenge. It might give me better insight into some of these head-scratching post by the extract brewers.

Hell Fire! I might even become paraniod about sanitizing.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: Forward to the Past
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:29:34 pm »
Very cool.  Briess and Muntons are my recommendations; they ferment out nicely.  There's a lot to be said for a 3 hour brew day...

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:33:46 pm »
Let me be the first second to respond to this post.

This is not meant to be a dig or anything about extract brewing or the brother brewers who do it. It's just as I stated, I just don't have any experience in this area and want more insight of the trials and tribulations.

I just have always done everything from scratch; brewing, cooking, preserving food, etc...just the way I was brought up.

Thank you for the opportunity to make that clear that up before I get all busted up.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:16:56 am »
cap to flint?

Keep yer DME dry brother. ;D

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:24:23 am »
I made some great extract brews back in the day that I would love to revisit.  Enjoy the ride!
Dave Zach

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:24:04 am »
Brings back memories of the early 90s. Boiling on the stove, a couple massive boilovers and that great lingering smell of malt and hops that my better half disliked. Wife was very happy when I moved out of the kitchen.

Might be fun to try again...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:39:05 am »
I've actually brewed several extract batches in the last year to develop/test versions of my recipes for Northern Brewer kits.  The new rye LME that Briess is making was a real eye opener....very good stuff.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:56:21 am »
I recently purchased some LME from Northern Brewer to supplement a 1.120 GU beer. My recommendation is to buy it from a reputable source that moves it quickly. I know that NB buys it by the 55gal drum and moves it pretty fast which is indicates fresher product.
Ron Price

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 02:33:20 pm »
Interesting idea, Tubercle.  I did about 4 extract batches, then on to partial mash for a couple batches, then 3 gallon all grain batches (all on the stove to this point) then moved out of the kitchen to 5 gallon all grain batches for a couple years, now I'm back to 3 gallon all grain batches on the stove.  I like being inside where it's not too freakin' hot or cold, windy, buggy, muggy, dark, bright, snowy, rainy, etc.  It's made brewing so much less stressful and more about the process and relaxing.  I may have to try some extract batches again, I am going to be assisting a friend who is going to be doing his first batch in the next week or so.  So I'm trying to think of how I'm going to help since I haven't brewed extract in 3 years.  But I think I got it.
Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 05:35:42 pm »
I've been brewing a lot with extract lately. Tubercle there aren't any trials and tribulations with extract.

Make sure you buy fresh extract if liquid and remember that DME ferments out a bit more than LME. 

And concentrated boils give some good results and the hop utilization isn't impacted enough to not do it this way. Probably not the way to do a CAP though. That being said a full boil is how I usually do it so the IC is submerged more and I can chill it faster.

No negative connotations with using extract. After all this is homebrewing. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 01:06:04 pm »
I've actually brewed several extract batches in the last year to develop/test versions of my recipes for Northern Brewer kits.  The new rye LME that Briess is making was a real eye opener....very good stuff.

I really need to try this out.  Maybe it will be under the tree :-)
Homebrewed since 2010

jaybeerman

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 01:47:08 pm »
The Tubercle has been all grain brewing for 25+ years. There were about 3 extract kit brews in the begining and then to all grain. Tubercle never got to experience the apprehension of making the "leap" and going through all the styles with extract. I always figured if the Sumerians could do it, I was at least that smart.

25 - not too shabby! cheers to that.

make sure you completely fill your kettle with sanitizer, for an hour soak - should do the trick

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 08:46:28 pm »

25 - not too shabby! cheers to that.

make sure you completely fill your kettle with sanitizer, for an hour soak - should do the trick
Would that be before boil or after the boil?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

jaybeerman

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 10:33:17 pm »

Would that be before boil or after the boil?

Well neither for me, but if someone wants to be paranoid I suppose they could do it before and after  ;) just to be extra sure

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 12:20:51 am »

Fermenting for a different finished product (one we're not allowed to discuss here) has taught me much about that.  I get a lot of amusement from all of the detailed paranoid things people do to sanitize.  They'd be paranoid brewing in an OR.   :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907