Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fancy deserts  (Read 11489 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Fancy deserts
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:36:13 am »
From Jacque Pépin's More Fast Food My Way, "Bread Flip"

Find a ruby grapefruit somewhere.  This can be hard because nobody likes these things, at all.

Cut the ends off

Cut the skin off.

Slice the skin into julienne-length slices.

Blanch it three times (cold water, bring to boil, boil for 30-60 seconds, drain).

Add 1/2 cup water and 1/3 cup sugar, boil to a syrup just before the ball stage.

Remove the grapefruit skins.

Roll in sugar.

Chill.

Dip the ends in melted chocolate.

Add Grand Mariner (or Triple Sec or whatnot) to the remaining syrup.

Segment the grapefruit.

Garnish with dried cranberries.

Pour the syrup over this.

Garnish with a few of the candied grapefruit skins.

Takes about half an hour but eh it works.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Fancy deserts
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:53:22 am »
From Jacque Pépin's More Fast Food My Way, "Bread Flip"

Find a ruby grapefruit somewhere.  This can be hard because nobody likes these things, at all.

Cut the ends off

Cut the skin off.

Slice the skin into julienne-length slices.

Blanch it three times (cold water, bring to boil, boil for 30-60 seconds, drain).

Add 1/2 cup water and 1/3 cup sugar, boil to a syrup just before the ball stage.

Remove the grapefruit skins.

Roll in sugar.

Chill.

Dip the ends in melted chocolate.

Add Grand Mariner (or Triple Sec or whatnot) to the remaining syrup.

Segment the grapefruit.

Garnish with dried cranberries.

Pour the syrup over this.

Garnish with a few of the candied grapefruit skins.

Takes about half an hour but eh it works.

I just finished a ruby red. Who doesn't like them?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:19:39 am »
I am guessing he did more than segment the fruit itself. or at least I would. I would cut through the flesh leaving all the membrane out.

**EDIT**

Here is a much simpler and nearly as fancy desert

take 4-6 black mission figs, ripe but not yet squishy.
remove any stems and cut a cross from the top about half way to the flower end.
gently sqeeze the base of the fig and the top will open up like a flower.

mix some marscapone cheese, a little honey and some toasted chopped walnuts. maybe the innards of a vanilla bean and/or a little shot of vanilla extract.

put a tablespoon of cheese mixture in each fig 'blossom'

drizzle with a little extra honey and a sprinkle of nuts. serve with a snifter of old rasputin or something stronger.

and any leftover cheese mixture can be thinned with whole milk and plopped in the ice cream maker for another treat later.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:31:03 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:36:05 am »
I think the Gobi is a fancy desert, but when I eat I prefer fancy desserts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:39:59 am »
I think the Gobi is a fancy desert, but when I eat I prefer fancy desserts.
I was going to point out that my wife makes fancy desserts in our not very fancy desert-nothing but sand, cacti, mesquite and jack rabbits.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:27:32 am »
okay so if READ can mean 'you should read this' and 'i have read this' and tear can mean 'a tear rolled down my cheek' and 'I have a tear in my jeans' isn't it time we did away with that pesky second S and just say that desert can mean a very dry place and a sweet treat after a meal? while we are at it can't we just say 'there'? do we really need 'their' and 'they're'?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 10:43:42 am »
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 10:55:09 am »
okay so if READ can mean 'you should read this' and 'i have read this' and tear can mean 'a tear rolled down my cheek' and 'I have a tear in my jeans' isn't it time we did away with that pesky second S and just say that desert can mean a very dry place and a sweet treat after a meal? while we are at it can't we just say 'there'? do we really need 'their' and 'they're'?

HERESY!  Correct use of language and spelling is a sign of intelligence and understanding.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 10:56:32 am »
I am guessing he did more than segment the fruit itself. or at least I would. I would cut through the flesh leaving all the membrane out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wiOtjrvXgk

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:57:58 am »
no, no, and yes
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 11:18:47 am »
Last weekend I visited Eugene, Oregon (my hometown) where there is an amazing Patisserie called Sweet Life. We went there after my little brothers production of "The Grinch".  I returned with my first cupcake sized Creme Brulee of any size for that matter, which I will eat to ward off this afternoon's nap-attack.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 11:27:46 am »
Last weekend I visited Eugene, Oregon (my hometown) where there is an amazing Patisserie called Sweet Life. We went there after my little brothers production of "The Grinch".  I returned with my first cupcake sized Creme Brulee of any size for that matter, which I will eat to ward off this afternoon's nap-attack.

Sweet Life rocks!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 12:15:19 pm »
My daughter's favorite desert dessert is Creme Brulee, but she also makes a very fine blueberry cheesecake.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 12:38:49 pm »

HERESY!  Correct use of language and spelling is a sign of intelligence and understanding.

so are you saying I'm unintelligent and crass?  ;) I agree. I have just always struggled with certain grammatical and spelling issues and suspect the english language was mashed together from at least three other languages resulting in all sort of inconsistancies. Not to mention I am of the generation that cannot spell a sentence correctly without spell check.

However with the desert dessert issue it's not even like it follows syntactic rules the initial vowel is pronounced the same regardless d-eh-sert d-eh-ssert. at least where I grew up I supose in some places it's pronounced d-ee-ssert. but really it is the second vowel that needs to be modified so there should be an extra e at the end of one of those words. either deserte or desserte. or perhaps we need some accent marks in english (which I don't know how to make on this keyboard)
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 12:42:19 pm »

At least it's not fremenation or ferementation or fermenation... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis